Complete Coolant Systen Flush

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Duwayne, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Duwayne

Duwayne Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Can someone tell me if I have to add antifreeze/water mixture to the engine prior to adding it to the resovior/radiator if I removed the water filter to do a complete drain/flush of the entire system. The filter housing has an on/off valve, I left it on when I pulled the filter to drain the case as well. I'm afraid to just fill the radiator, run the engine and add as required when the thermostat opens. Will my engine overheat due to not having any coolant in it at all or is this how you do it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    DuWayne

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Duwayne

Duwayne Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Sorry I didn't specify. I have a 1994 Cummings L10 Diesel engine in international dump truck.

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    You can just fill it at the rad/reservoir. There will be some air pockets in the engine here and there. Once the reservoir is full, start the engine and let it idle for about 2 minutes, rev it to 1200 for about a minute, and idle again for about a minute. This should push most of air pockets out and up into the reservoir. during this time, leave the rad/reservoir cap OFF, to help with air burping. Top up as needed, put the cap on, then road test to operating temp to allow the thermostats to fully open and burp any remaining air pockets.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.