Con-Way Freight vs. FedEx Freight for new driver?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Jeff505, Mar 29, 2010.

1. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Yeah. We have one seniority board here so you just hire as a driver then as you build seniority you have more and more options but when you're new you don't have much of a choice..

It usually takes a few years to run line-haul with a bid a most terminals because a lot of drivers want it. It took me 4 years..

Romans6:23 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ironmke55128

ironmke55128 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2010
    I have worked for both and what I can tell you at fedex ground I worked team driving otr. what I didnt like was trying to sleep while the jake break is going off or your dumb ### partner hits the breaks hard and sends you into the front seat.and you better hope you get along well with them or its a long drive. the othe is lay overs if you dont get a dispatch by noon sat you may have to sit till tuesday. 27 hours of sitting in a truck is no fun and no pay. conway I was hired as a LTL driver but all I drove was 62 miles a day the rest of the 10 hours was all dock work.

4. Romans6:23

Romans6:23 Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Port Sanilac,Mi
    that is a rough mike,yeah I know all too well about team drivin..........it is just not about drivin that is for sure

5. RJ33RD

RJ33RD Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I worked for both myself and I'm still at fedex right now I think between them it depends on ur terminal . They ur treated and the type of work u will do , I never did otr just ltl with both and fedex is a lil better when it comes to what they expect u to do . But they both have good benefits....

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  6. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    A lot of truth to what you're saying.. I've been at a couple now after one was closed a few years ago and again when we had some good options. Even though it's the same company, two different terminals can be like different companies..

I hope you're gonna be alright with the merger man.. Been through the uncertainty myself when my terminal was closed and had to move 130 miles to keep my job - worked out in the end with where I'm at now but it's tough to say the least..

7. RJ33RD

RJ33RD Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Thanks jake , yeah our terminal is not closing but I still want to change terminals to go to the baltimore , md terminal because our terminal will run all the shiddy areas down here in md , all of the d.c freight will come to us and all of the tight areas that I don't want to wrk in .
    Eventually I think they will close our terminal in about two or three yrs and have us go to the baltimore terminal anyway , were jus like 10 or 15 miles away from them . But still thank you for the support.

8. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Did I miss something? What merger?

9. RJ33RD

RJ33RD Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I
    The merger between fedex national and fedex freight , we're goin to be all known as fedex freight now . Just the freight side of things , instead of fedex having two terminals basically side by side in diff states or cities they're cutting back the cost and merging . A lot of ppl thinks its only the national terminals closing but its also some of the freight terminals closing so they can be ran out of just one terminal in their state and/or city.

10. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Con-way Freight and Con-way truckload have merged.. All drivers at N terminals will go to the bottom of the board for 17 years..lol.. Just kidding dude.. It's FedEx and I really wish them the best as should every Con-way Freight driver.. You just never know man... Been through it here and it seriously sucks..

11. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    har har har......... you're real funny jake....I'm already thinking I'll have to get creative and "create some openings" to move up the totem pole. I hadn't heard about the Fedex merger. I'm surprised that Yellow, Roadway, and Holland are all still separate and haven't been merged into just one company/logo.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.