Connex 3300

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Minuteman, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Glennville, Georgia
    I have heard that it was illegal to have a Connex 3300 radio. If it is illegal, why? What makes them illegal? Cause there are a lot of people I know (other drivers) that have Connex radios and would prefer them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I have one. I had it turned up to 45 watts (i think) which is illegal in the FCC's eyes.

4. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    Did you read the sticky(docked thread)

FCC Rules on CB Radios ?

5. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    One of the problems is, people NEVER read the FCC rules and regulations for the use of a CB radio. Some of this is FCC'S own fault. They don't even (I don't think) include these rules with the radios anymore. The rules are (Title 47, Part 95, US Code of Regulations).

ALL of the so-called "10 Meter 'amateur' radios" are against the law to use on CB because they (usually) exceed the power permitted for same [4 watts]), and they are easily modified for "extra" channels--ALSO illegal. There is a list on the 'web of equipment that is illegal according to FCC.

Basically, if the radio has "bands" of channels, you can pretty much bet it is illegal because legal CB radios have 40 pre-selected channels. There is NO SUCH THING AS 'EXTRA' CHANNELS, OR A "FREEBAND", and one or more of those so-called "bands" is assigned to the international Amateur Radio Service to which the USA is a signatory by treaty! The problem with these radios is, truckers have been flipping those "band" switches and landing up in the amateur bands which the licensed amateurs will not stand for! So they go out and ride the interstate quietly and record the activities of the drivers and turn them in to FCC! A BUNCH of trucking companies has gotten caught for this due the efforts of the hams who are upset at having interference from unlicensed operators on their frequencies! Remember: ANYTHING OUTSIDE THE 40 CHANNELS OF CB RADIO REQUIRES A LICENSE, OR MILITARY AUTHORIZATION and there is NO such thing as "extra channels" CBers can use without risk of getting fines of up to $18,000!:biggrin_2553: A few got FIRED over it!

Honestly, you would be better off with a LEGAL 40 CHANNEL CB radio such as a Galaxy 959, etc. BTW, Pilot Travel Centers got a $90,000 FINE for selling the "10 Meter" radios a few years ago; it's on the internet so it can be verified.

Drive Safe!

Gadfly

6. Minuteman

Minuteman Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Glennville, Georgia
    If the radio is a "10 meter" radio, could I use it after I get my HAM liscense? Or do I just need to get different radio. Could it be used as long as only the 40 channels are used?

7. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    I'll put it to you like this: There are guys out there like Gadfly that
    will make you think you will go to jail if you use of them radios.:biggrin_25512:

That is simply not true as long as you use some common sense. Stay
    on the regular CB channels and no one will mess with you. If you do
    go out of the regular 40 don't get all crazy. I recommend staying on the
    regular 40.

I run a Connex 4600 Turbo that is rated for 150 watts but is actually
    pushing out 195 I don't get crazy with it and watch how I use it.

squirrellsgnwild and Rat Thank this.
  8. FriedTater

FriedTater Keeper of The Snakes

Mar 25, 2009
    United State of Texas
    If you buy a radio whether its a 10 or 11 meter and it has been peeked/tuned you are in FCC Violation.
    Many THOUSANDS upon THOUSAND'S of mobile radio's are illegal and yet operate at "free-will" levels.

Let no cyber-snitch put any FCC fear in your heart,you want a cranked-up 10 Meter, BUY ONE and use it at your leisure.The forum net cops cant stop you nor can the FCC.

When I'm out sliding around channels I get ham-op's
    chiming in on a regular basis. We chat for many,many miles on "their channels". They don't bully me with strong arm threats,they know I'm not licensed for those channels(or don't act it) but never a harsh word from them.

Yeah I get 4 PILL crazy on the crybabies !!:biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523::biggrin_25523:

9. Rat

Rat Road Train Member

Like he said. It is actually illegal to use on the regular 40 cb even if you are a Ham. So getting a Ham ticket would be useless unless you plan on getting into Amature Ham radio for real. Forget about Ham radio in a truck though because a very very very small percentage of drivers run ham radios in their trucks.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. Coonass

Coonass "Freshy Fresh"

Sep 23, 2008
    I know many many ham operators around here who run them in
    their truck.

Like I said unless you do something EXTREMELY crazy you will NOT
    get arrested or fined.:biggrin_25512::biggrin_25512::biggrin_25512:

11. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    ....probably because you're acting like an adult. I can see where the Highway Hero's of CB with the noise toys and nothing to really talk about can get the hammer's riled. As for me, I always thought the radios were for communication, and that's my venue. Sideband can be fun too.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    squirrellsgnwild Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.