Connex 3300

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Minuteman, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Poor mothertrucker

Poor mothertrucker Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Visalia, Ca.
    To elaborate a bit:

These radios ARE illegal in Canada: most truckers up there run VHF/Marine radios, and yes, a license is required to operate them.

I got an application once for a Canadian VHF license, as I was running up there quite a bit (never applied), and the CB shops give you a copy of the basic rules, and one rule, is that you CANNOT have a tuneable radio in a vehicle - all of the VHF radios you buy up there, are pre-programmed with the channels of your choice (usually a few emergency channels, and the most commonly used ones by truckers) The only exception to this, is a standard CB radio. If it can be tuned to HAM frequencies that are NOT preset (meaning - you can turn the dial, and pick any channel, versus pushing a button that has a programmed channel on it), then it's illegal.

The reason for this, is because many emergency services agencies up there, operate on easily-accessed HAM frequencies, and they want those channels kept clear.

Here in the States, again - I have read several differing things: one, is that a HAM radio cannot have access to CB frequencies (they come with what's known as a MARS Cap - a diode of sorts, that prevents the radio from being able to tune in CB freqs). However, this doesn't seem to be the case with Connex radios - and from what I know, they're still on the market. So, there must be some other loophole there, because if they were in fact illegal to own, I doubt that Connex would even be allowed to market them.

2. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    It.s not illegal to OWN a so-called "10 Meter" radio, or a police radio, for that matter. The rub comes when one uses an otherwise legal radio to transmit contrary to the rules that apply to your service. Like Part 95 of Title 47, US Code of Regulations. So, yes--it IS illegal to TRANSMIT on 11 Meters with one of those "10 Meter" radios. And that includes Amateur Radio operators. It is also against the law for unlicensed persons to transmit on 10 Meters with ANY radio. And, of course, that is the reason for the existence of "big" radios; more power (illegal), and more "channels" (also illegal for the CB operator). Yeah, I know. IIlegal, Illegal, Illegal:(. :p Amateur licensees operated under a different set of regulations (Part 97) which applies to them, their bands, and their equipment. That means its perfectly fine for a licensed amateur to use one of the "10 Meter" radios ON 10 Meters, tho there's a bit of a stigma attached to it. Because the Connex'es, et al, aren't FCC-approved for use on 11M. it is just as illegal for THEM to do it, too. Stay ON 10 Meters, its perfectly OK. For the HAM, that is!:p

Farther up the thread, there was a comment about CBers/truckers operating on the lower end of 10 Meters (the much touted "extra channels" some brag about) and the hams joining in. That is also against the law because Part 97 states that a licensee must not knowingly communicate with an unlicensed station (interloper). If the hams are discovered doing that, their licenses will likely be yanked and, perhaps, a fine to boot! :eek: In fact they are REQUIRED to report unlicensed stations operating on ANY authorized amateur frequency. People are welcome to obtain the required license which gains them access to those frequencies, but it is not OK to simply join in and start operating. Radio is NOT a "right"; it is a privilege granted by our government and it can be YANKED or shut down at their discretion. This is why about 10-15 years ago, there were trucking companies getting warned and threatened by FCC over the proliferation of the "10 Meter" radios in their trucks. They were coming up onto 10 Meters and interfering with the hams who had a granted privilege and a permission to use these frequencies while the truckers did not.

Hope this explains some of it.

3. Lynzee

Lynzee Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Yes very true, #1. LEAVE YOUR BAND SWITCH ALONE!!!! N you'll be A okay run it on "D" band n you'll be ok. You can use you 10kz switch but that's it n you won't need that unless your rinnrun with another driver that has a 10kz switch. N if you decide to run a kicker or a Fatboy please don't key up parked in a truck stop at full power it's kinda hard on the ears

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.