Connex 33hp maxing out a Wilson 5000?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Connex_runner, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Connex_runner

Connex_runner Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Cairo, Ohio
    Ok so I ran a test today where I was driving down a very long straight country road and had a person on a small base station on one end of the road and me driving straight away from them. I started to loose them at between 6-7 miles.

I have a connex 33HP-ATC with a Wilson 5000. the Swr has been reading 1:1-1.1:1, I was told with the peak and tune running @ 60 watts I should hit 10 miles easy.

I looked up the more info on my antenna and it seems it's maximum range is 5-7 miles. Is this true? And if so what kind of antenna should I get that would match my radio better?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hayseed

hayseed Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2011
    The Natural State
    How was the terrain? It's not the antenna. I am running a connex 4300-300 with a Wilson 5K and with it turned down to about 100 watts I am hiting a base that is 40 miles from me. Doing mobile to mobile at 15 miles any day. May have been a bad day for your area. There are a lot of factors. There is no "range" for an antenna per say........

4. Connex_runner

Jun 29, 2015
    Cairo, Ohio
    It was flat as a pancake in ohio

It was flat as a pancake

5. Connex_runner

Jun 29, 2015
    Cairo, Ohio
    There is power lines along the road that was the only terrian

6. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    Lol that antenna can handle more watts then you'll ever have i use to talk 40-50 miles away running wilsons it probably was a bad day or base station setup wasnt all that great.

7. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Too many variables. Even with a perfect SWR, there are other factors. A dummy load will give you a perfect SWR, but it won't transmit a lick!

handlebar Thanks this.
  8. Outlaw CB

Outlaw CB Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    Merely means you have a serious dip in radiation pattern off your back side. Take a pic post it maybe some change can be made in physical mounting to even out the pattern.

After years of trying I still cannot get my pancakes flat. I think I need a new waffle iron.

lots of character Thanks this.
  9. Outlaw CB

Outlaw CB Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    Unless you are pulling a tall metal trailer not seen in pic I see no reason the rear would have such a deep null in pattern. Is it possible the null is in the friends antenna system? If you were driving towards the friend what is the range when you can first talk. How about coming from the other direction down the road? Get a field strength meter. Out in a big lot have a friend sit inside doors shut, key the radio barefoot. Walk around in a circle say 50 feet, uniformly, looking at field strength. Get a picture of the pattern around your truck. Barring obstacles on the property try to do the same test at the base station, that is get a picture of their pattern in a circle around the antenna. Just be sure to do it in a large enough circle that you are not immersed inside the near field pattern, you want to get a picture of the far field pattern as best you can. Also in both tests do not keep the radio keyed for too long a time, don't overheat the finals and do not do this with any amplifiers running.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.