Connex 33hp maxing out a Wilson 5000?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Connex_runner, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Connex_runner

Connex_runner Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Cairo, Ohio
    Yes I have a pdc2 hooked inline, it has a field strength meter. Do I just un hook it and use it like that?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

Almost. That meter should have come with a shortie antenna that will screw down into a tapped hole next to the connector on one end of the meter's case. Turn the sensitivity/calibration knob high enough that, at the chosen distance from the antenna under test, the needle sits somewhere between half-scale and full-scale. That will give the needle some room to go both up and down from its starting place. If you find the meter "pegs out" at some point in your circle, stop the test, pick a lower initial setting, and re-walk the whole circle.
    If this is on a pickup like in the photo, or a sedan or some vehicle not towing a trailer substantially taller than the antenna's location, you may not see much (or any) variation in the field strength on the meter. Also, if the meter circuit isn't linear (most aren't), it's not safe to figure that a signal that's going up 4 units (however it's marked) is twice as strong as a location that only goes up 2.
    Similarly, comparing more than one transmitter as received by your signal strength meter can really show that one is stronger than another, but not by how much.

When our friends at FCC go on a report of an overpowered transmitter, part of what they do before knocking on the door is to take field strength measurements with a calibrated "frequency selective voltmeter" or a spectrum analyzer that is calibrated to a known standard. They'll set up at a known distance and measure the field density, often as a value measured in microvolts per square meter. They know what 4 watts should look like, with allowances for antenna gain or loss and transmission line loss.

That's also how they bust low power unlicensed FM stations, by the way.

Hope that helps and isn't way more than you were asking :cool:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Reason for edit: general doofoidism on my part with this tablet
    Connex_runner and Bout Z Thank this.
  4. Connex_runner

Jun 29, 2015
    Cairo, Ohio
    Well as soon as I un hooked my pdc2 I got way out there I was talking to said base station 10 miles away I dont know if it was dumb luck or if having that meter hooked up with the little antenna attached was creating an issue

5. Bout Z

Bout Z Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2015
    so. ohio
    If you had it hooked inline, with the little antenna connected, that little antenna was most likely the culprit.;)

Connex_runner Thanks this.
  6. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

As someone pointed out, any drive power (the radio itself) that exceeds 1 or 1.5 watts is going to make that KL amp turn expensive components into ash.

Unless the tweakage you had done actually resulted in a lower output -- and that would constitute a precedent amongst most "shops" -- then whatever was done will just hasten the demise of that amp.

As you might want to run the Connex barefoot from time to time, f'r instance whilst the amp is away being repaired, see if the shop where you got it will align the radio so that the "LO" RF PWR is set at one watt and then remember to only run the radio on low power whenever the amp is switched on.

Hope that helps.

7. Outlaw CB

Outlaw CB Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    You mean it not because most have crappy programming?

What if they only played classic rock, would they leave them alone?

8. Connex_runner

Jun 29, 2015
    Cairo, Ohio

I'm running barefoot all the time, no amp. My low is set at 2 watt high is 10 watt.

The only thing I had inline was my swr/power meter with the field strength antenna on it. I'm gunna try and run the pdc2 again but minus the antenna for it.

9. Outlaw CB

Outlaw CB Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    "I'm gunna try and run the pdc2 again but minus the antenna for it"

I find it dubious at best the tiny FS antenna screwed into its mount caused such a loss. At most the power transferred to it in FWD with pot cranked up is a few milliwatts. Far more likely is that meter has a fault in the path through internally. You should not be keeping such a small low quality meter in line all the time. Best to have no meter in line. Take it apart and inspect the hot through and shield through especially where the connectors join the board. If you want to keep it in the vehicle use it as an FSM with tiny antenna attached. To clarify the meter will not be connected to anything, it is merely functioning as an independant FSM in this case. You want nothing in line but jumper, amp, antenna. Set the pot barefoot and amp on compromising for a setting that shows relative field strength both barefoot and running power. If you insist on having a meter inline in your mobile all the time get something much better.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  10. delta5

delta5 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Ohio
    Lets not forget that you need carrier (dead key) power to get range. These knobs that drop the dead key wattage down to almost nothing and boost the modulation way up just to sound loud in the parking lot, but have no range.

handlebar Thanks this.
  11. Connex_runner

Jun 29, 2015
    Cairo, Ohio

Dead key is 2 watts

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.