Consolidated freight ways ?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by bzinger, Sep 28, 2016.

1. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I remember the shutdown but was home when it happened .
    Just wondering if any of the linehaul drivers or sleeper teams got stuck out on the road away from they're home terminals and had to find they're own way home ?
    If so I bet those would be some interesting tales .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    They might have been interesting 14 years ago.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The company I worked for at the time hired a few of those drivers. The CF drivers they hired couldn't be depended on due to lazy work ethic. Always griping about something and they all sued CF saying their back hurt. CF settled out of court and gave each driver $25K. The company where I worked that hired them finally closed the doors and the former CF drivers that had been hired, sued again for aching backs. Talked to one later and he laughed saying he got another out of court settlement for $25K and planned to take a year off before looking for another driving job.

bzinger and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    CF was a old company. I thought they would last forever. But nope. POOF> All gone.

I never really got the goods on them, i knew enough not to hire on to them because of the backs. Ironically my T1 through T12 is gone but such as life.

bzinger and Chinatown Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Funny. A year or so ago, I was at the TA downtown Nashville (wow, they really cleaned that place up!) and I had a guy walk up with a sob story about how his company shut its doors and left him stranded and he was trying to get home but needed some funds. I asked him the name of his company and he said, "Cannon Express."

Mike2633 and bzinger Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    When they shut down here, all there drivers walked right across the street to Pitt Ohio.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wow, and still not home? A guy that looked homeless and dirty came up to me at the fuel islands there and said he just got out of the Navy and trying to get to Knoxville. Said he's a Navy Seal. Was wearing an old ragged t-shirt with Navy Seals emblem on it.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Good thing you didn't piss him off. Remember how "First Blood" got started?

10. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    Was leased to CF Special Commodities back in the old days,they closed our division back in the late 80's,see avatar.In over 42 years with my own truck and trailer was by far the best money I ever made.Ran special commodity ltl cross country with a step deck,they had freight everywhere.Im sure there are still some old teamster O/O's here that knew how things were back then.

Mike2633, Pintlehook, bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.