Constant tone on 27.265 LSB

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by lilillill, Oct 23, 2016.

1. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Anyone have any idea where the constant tone on 26 LSB is coming from? I like to set my radio to scan all the CB channels but have to set the squelch so high to block out 26 that I miss signals that are fairly close on others.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dumptruck89

dumptruck89 Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2015
    MA
    Could it be something electronic on your truck, I know my radio gets super noisey when ever I plug my phone in to charge

lilillill and windsmith Thank this.
  4. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
  5. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
  6. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Sounds like you've got a "birdie" going there.
    "birdie: A false or spurious signal in a receiver inadvertently produced by the receiver’s circuitry."
    http://www.dxing.com/radterms.htm#balun:
    That particular frequency produced some birdies in some older Radio Shack crap.

lilillill and slim6596 Thank this.
  7. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Here's a short vid...

8. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    It goes away when the antenna is disconnected. So that would mean it's not coming from inside the radio, right?

9. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I have systematically disconnected and/or turned off every electrical device in the truck and can't make the tone go away. I even put my (turned off) tablet and phone inside the microwave in case they were still generating some kind of signal. No dice.

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    That's not a constant tone, it sounds like nothing is wrong with the radio. Rather someone keyingnup a mic to test something like swr.

To all that don't know how a radio works, when you turn on ssb from am, there is a change in what appears to be the sensitivity of the radio and a drop in noise, this happens when there is a narrowing of the if strip - it goes from wide to narrow to get one half of the am signal - and the addition of a signal inside the radio to decode the ssb signal so you can understand it. This sometimes allows you to hear weak and other wise hidden signal on the channel.

So this signal, only on lsb is as I assume off frequency and weak. The reason you hear it on lsb is because the center frequency of the carrier is lower than it should be, and because you also don't hear it on am or USB is because it is weak.

fargonaz and lilillill Thank this.
  11. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    That tone is coming from a componet or device that is in close proximity to the antenna.

It is modulated on the same frequently you are tuned to. LSB check. 26? You said it is quiet on all other channels? The scanner has isolated the frequency. now you must find the source of that frequency by turning off the all accessories using the internal circuitry on the truck.

Turn the engine off tune to channel 26. Do you still hear the tone? It could be a data transmission from the engine ECM to the Trucks internal diagnostic UI. (user interface)

Typically tablet & cell phones operate at different a frequency range, so they shouldn't be suspect unless the have Bluetooth and then that is unlikely.

I think it has more to do with the on board electronics.

lilillill and Big Don Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.