Continuous air leak from air dryer purge valve

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by silver dollar, May 27, 2016.

1. silver dollar

silver dollar Medium Load Member

Jan 31, 2009
    Central North Carolina
    I need help understanding this.
    I have a constant air leak from the purge valve on the air dryer. Here's what I've found: Starting at zero psi, the system builds pressure fine and fairly quickly. The dryer cycles as it should per Meritor manual. After the system purges, there is a slow but steady air leak from the purge valve. Shut the truck off and it still leaks. It will loose down to 60 psi in about 45 minutes, and is completly depleted in about 1.5 hours.

I change the purge valve, but that didn't help. Can anyone give me some ideas on a remedy for this? I sure would appreciate it.

The truck: 2006 VNL 630 - D12 435hp - Two cylinder Wabco air compressor - Meritor System Saver twin cartridge air dryer. I think the truck was a bulk hauler in its previous life, I removed a hose rack from back of cab with extended heater hoses and air line with quick connects attached to it.
    I just recently put this truck in service, but i did find that previous owner had bypassed the air dryer. Now I know why.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Had a similar problem,turned out the housing had a hairline crack. Only way I found it was fueling on a rainy day.

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Follow the small line out of dryer and find at other end of that air line the ck. valve that lets purge valve release air thats left over from inside air compressor it will unscrew from main air line after small line is off

silver dollar Thanks this.
  5. silver dollar

Jan 31, 2009
    Central North Carolina
    Thanks for the reply. There are three lines to the dryer, the largest from the compressor to the dryer, the next from the dryer to the wet tank, them a small line from the dryer to I think the governor.This small line looks to be 3/8".Which one will have the check valve. The Meritor parts list shows a check valve in the dryer on the outlet port. Is this the one you speak of?

baha Thanks this.
  6. silver dollar

Jan 31, 2009
    Central North Carolina
    You kinda lost me there, driver

7. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    I've got a wabco dryer as well had the same problem finally got to the point where it would purge constantly my fix was finally getting frustrated one night and smacking the air dryer with a hammer and it broke the pop off valve out. $300 and a new air dryer later problem was solved. I've got to the point where the truck gets a new air dryer every year they're fairly cheap beats the hell out of dealing with that problem specially in the winter when it's a whopping 2 above and spending 20 minutes bypassing the air dryer it's not fun in 4 inches of snow...don't ask me how i know.

Rideandrepair and silver dollar Thank this.
  8. silver dollar

Jan 31, 2009
    Central North Carolina
    I'm thinking the same thing. Mine is the twin cartridge. If I could find it for 3 bills I wouldn't hesitate. Haven't been able to find one anywhere. I don't know how much trouble it would be to switch to the single cartridge. I know its way way cheaper. Thought I would have to bypass it at the scales this week. inspector found it but he didn't write it up. I don't want to press my luck.

9. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    You'll usually run into a plumbing nightmare when switching air dryers. I was going to upgrade to a bendix but would've had to change a lot of plumbing and said screw it the 300 junk wabco is fine. I don't worry much about it anymore. I've bypassed it a time or 2 which isn't illegal just a royal PITA draining the air tanks every time you stop. Water builds up quite quickly when you don't have the dryer. I left mine bypassed for about 2 weeks last winter while I waited for a new dryer to show up. One thing to never do is have a wabco rebuilt. The kit is about the same as a new dryer (least for mine) And the rebuilt ones last about 6 months.

10. silver dollar

Jan 31, 2009
    Central North Carolina
    I just got back from the Volvo dealer in Raleigh. There are two models of the twin cartridge dryers. I will need the model number off mine to know which I need. The price $1800 for one, and $2000 for the other. I thought he was joking, but he was not. I don't know if the price included the cartridges or not. I had bought two a month ago at $120 each but hadn't change the yet because I can get one of them off. I broke two good quality strap wrenches and it wouldn't budge. Any suggestions on removing it without destroying the base?

11. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    GOOD #### $2000?!?!?!?! I'd be asking them if that air dryer was made of gold. Getting filters unstuck I always used a good quality chain wrench not a cheap TSC $30 wrench I've got a lifetime warranty snap on wrench it didn't come cheap but it's worth the money for stubborn filters. I've got a set of big channel locks I've used as well for stubborn filters as well when a chain wrench fails. With the cost of the new dual cartridge dryer I'd say you could probably replumb the truck and move the dryer cheaper. Like I said I've got a cheap dryer and it's easier to just replace it as opposed to messing with replumbing the system, and mounting the dryer in a different location (my dryer sits right in front of the battery box on my pete I'd have to move it somewhere under the bunk more than likely).

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.