Converting to Super Singles

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Mooose, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Mooose

Mooose Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Sherwood Park,AB
    Can anyone comment on wether or not I can keep my 11R24.5 steers and run 455/55R22.5 drives?
    If I was to convert.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. j_martell

j_martell Light Load Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Centre Wellington, Ontario
    Low pro 24.5 yes , 24.5 tall rubber, it will lean to the rear........

Mooose Thanks this.
  4. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.
    455/55 22.5 is listed as 496 Revs per mile and a static radius of 19.9". Same as 11 R22.5 and LP 24.5.

An 11R 24.5 STEER TIRE has a static radius of 20.1". Because a steer tire typically has 18/32" of tread vs a drive having 27/32" or more, it is shorter. Therefore .2" ( less than a quarter inch) won't make a big difference. Your u-joint at the front diff will run at a slightly sharper angle.

Mooose Thanks this.
  5. Chewey

Chewey Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Why are you wanting to switch to super singles?

6. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    i want to know why also.. there's no benefit.. I have them now, and i'm trying to switch back over to duals..

People say that there's a weight saving benefit, but the amount of weight saved doesn't out weight the cost of the tire, and the damage done to a rim in the even of a blow out, not to mention you can't limp down the road with a blown super single.

As soon as i wear these four i have on now down, i'm jumping ship and tossing on a set of duals.

Chewey Thanks this.
  7. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I run wide based rubber, but I waited till I ordered a new truck. Just wasn't realistic to switch my last one over. There are many very good regular tires that compete quite favorably with wide based when it comes to rolling resistance and fuel economy issues. Weight saving is there, ballpark 400 lb, but not really enough to justify the cost to switch. I really like wide based on my current truck, but still would not have switched my last one if I had to do it over.

And it has to be done right. I ordered an intermediate length axle that was longer than standard, shorter than wide axle, yet still gave me (or a future owner) the option to go back to duals. And then I ordered 0" offset rims instead of the 2" outset rims some order. This is better for axle bearings. You are not throwing the wheel centering off. Almost 300,000 miles and the tread still is at 17/32nd's on Michelin Xone XDN2 rubber.

Save any ideas about going to wide based for a new truck. Forget the hype about wide based and stick with what you have now. I am a big fan of wide based now that I have been using them for almost 300,000 miles, but I, in good conscience, cannot advise anyone to switch an existing tractor over to them. I would ditch the 11R size tires and go with low pros, as they are more fuel efficient. But that is me. I can't see a good reason to use 11R's, but some folks seem to like them.

SoDel, tnpete, Chewey and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Jetsr6

Jetsr6 Light Load Member

May 20, 2011
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Buy a quality tire with a low rolling resistance. That would be best for longevity and MPG's.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  9. Freightlinerbob

Freightlinerbob Road Train Member

Jan 15, 2012
    West Coast B.C.
    I work with a guy that went from Dual XDA Energys to X- Ones on his drives and found no measurable difference in MPG.....

Then he converted his trailer and found something like .7 MPG but he can't get any life out of his tires. He's constantly getting warranty and goodwill policy from Michelin and the tire dealer but figures if he was paying out of pocket, his fuel savings would likely be used in tire costs.

I'm pretty sure Cowpie has the right perspective on this.

10. Mooose

Mooose Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Sherwood Park,AB
    Thanks that's great info!! I got my Shaker dealer involved I was concerned that it would mess up the ABS and of course the tire diameter difference between the front and back. Michelin says the diameter is 42.4" (455/55R22.5 XDN2) and my front steers are 43.2" (Dunlop SP384) based on that, your info and my shaker dealer who called me at home twice to talk to me about it, I think I'll proceed and see if I like it or regret it. This truck spends more time pulling an empty trailer than anything and I see that I need to monitor air pressure more closely but I can run air pressure a lot lower based on load, a lot of the local roads are beat up not pot holes but lots of frost heaves and doesn't matter how good your truck rides your back gets sore after awhile (230"WB). That tread design I've had on my other truck it works well in the winter. The shaker dealer thinks it's a good fit for me and there's nothing in it for them.
    PS I run pre-emission iron, and not even when hell freezes over will I buy a new or newer truck(sorry new truck guys).

11. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Well, I run pre-emission iron also... in a 2013 truck. So you can have you cake and eat it too sometimes. Gliders can be a beautiful thing. It is this one that I ordered the wide based wheels and intermediate axle on that I mentioned.

Mooose Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.