Converting to Super Singles

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Mooose, Jul 18, 2014.

1. ipogsd

ipogsd Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I sure hope that includes clothes and all her other stuff! :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night_driver

Night_driver Light Load Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The truck I'm getting (2013 Cascadia) will come with new Continental wide based, and new steer Dunlops. I'm also trying to estimate cost per mile and wanted to know how many miles these tires would last.
    Also how long trailer tires are expected to last - duals vs. super singles?
    I know it all depends on the brand, model and weight pulled. Assuming it's a reefer loaded around 40 k lbs.
    Which tires are more cost effective? Does it make sense saving money on Continental or Yokohama?

4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    No precise way of knowing how they will work or last. Each truck setup is different enough to determine tire longevity, as well as how it is driven. Just use the tire manufacturer recommended tire pressures and monitor them.

If a truck is going to eat tires, regardless of brand, then it makes no sense to buy the most expensive. But for the right setup, something like the higher priced Michelins can deliver a lower cost per mile than a cheaper brand. Just play it out and see the results.

While I have gotten stellar results from using Michelins on my truck, it is possible that one of the cheaper tires could be a decent value. But since I am getting very strong results with what I am using, I have no motivation to play "what if" games and switch brands. If you get satisfactory results that you are comfortable with from the tires that are already on the truck, then no need to spend more than you have to.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    How has the super singles done when empty? How about in snow and wet roads?
    Pete

6. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I have had good results with mine. I run only the upper tier of the country... NE to OH north of I-70 up to the CA border most of the time. I have never had any problems with snow or water. Only started to notice a little less grip when the tires wore down to around 9/32nd and I was bobtailing. That was around 445,000 miles on the singles. I changed them out for new ones at 447,000 miles.

tnpete Thanks this.
  7. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I would never go with super singles. Did you ever think if catch nail, bolt or simply you get leak? You gonna ruin rim also. If that happens to your dual you not gonna damage rim and posdible to drive to nearest tire shop.

8. Night_driver

Sep 20, 2014
    Grand Rapids, MI
    No I was actually expecting to have no nails, bolts and to never lose even 1 psi over the life of a tire.
    On a more serious note, I'm looking at lowering my expenses long term, meaning I'm prepared to pay $1500 once every few years if I can save $3000 each year on fuel.

KB3MMX and tnpete Thank this.
  9. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Wow. The paranoia over wide based tires. Sure, there are risks, just like anything in life. But I have not had any more issues with wide based than with duals, including running rural gravel farm roads a couple times a week, frequent drop and hook in pothole filled gravel lots, and running primarily only the upper tier of the country all winter long.

KB3MMX, tnpete and Night_driver Thank this.
  10. simon999

simon999 Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    It is not paranoya. I know somebody who had bad experience. Listened too much K.R. show about fuel savings on if you put super singles. When he had couple breakdowns with flat tire. First time he catch metal on road during night, second time tote was leaking because nail and also ruin the rim. He spend more money in tires and service on road. He decided go back with duals.
    You can put what you want on your truck, but think about consequences.

11. Night_driver

Sep 20, 2014
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If you install pressure monitoring system, then you have less chance of getting flats and damaging your rims. Maybe your friend had bad luck but this normally doesn't happen every year.

KB3MMX and tnpete Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.