Conway Truckload Training School Joplin,MO

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Mimi, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Mimi

Mimi Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2015
    ConwayTruckloads Driving School
    I attended this school in Joplin, No.
    The school itself is really not affiliated with Conway in anyway. They put you on a college campus,Crowder College in Neosho, MO. It is located 30 min. outside of Joplin. There is nothing there but the college. No stores or convince marts. You are there for 5 weeks or if they don't feel you are worth their time, 2 weeks. The instructors are all x truck drivers, which hold no degrees. Most of which are pretty rude, especially the female ( Kelly) & Rufus, who actually went so far as to put his hands on a student from Puerto Rico. They also do not explain to you that the cost for living in the dorms on Campus is about 110.00 per day. You eat at the college cafeteria daily. This course to me was ridiculous, you will be doing a lot of reading, and testing before actual range instruction.... Most of which is really not necessary because most of your logging is now done electronically. I think the reason they do this is because they apply for a grant in your name with the state of MO. So to get those funds, the course has to be 5 weeks. Truck drivers you are better off going through a company sponsored program other than this one. A big waste of time. It seems they get paid twice, once from the state & you if you decide not to stay with Conway. Just my 2 cents. Very sneaky.

RoadRooster Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JR OTR

JR OTR Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Okay, lets see if we can sort out the inaccuracies from the start...

1) There is no such thing as the "ConwayTruckloads Driving School"
    Conway Truckload has long been affiliated with the truck driving school at Crowder College, in Neosho, MO. If you are someone with little or no experience with truck driving, they are one option you can choose to get the required training.​

2) "There is nothing there but the college. No stores or convince marts."
    There are numerous stores in and around Neosho... even a Walmart and a movie theatre. You were driven by both on the way to the college.
    3) "You are there for 5 weeks or if they don't feel you are worth their time, 2 weeks."
    The main course is 5 weeks long. They tell you up front that if they don't think you can cut it they won't just keep you around to waste your money and time and will cut you after a week or two.​

4) "The instructors are all x truck drivers, which hold no degrees."
    I can't vouch for the degrees of those that teach on the driving range but most if not all of them are certified CDL test examiners by the state of Missouri -- you may have noticed people not belonging to your class coming by to get tested by them occasionally.
    As for them being truck drivers, well... duh! You'd prefer to be tutored by someone with a degree in philosophy?
    5) "They also do not explain to you that the cost for living in the dorms on Campus is about 110.00 per day. You eat at the college cafeteria daily."
    One option you are presented with is to use the Crowder dorms and cafeteria. I'm pretty sure the cost is more like 110 per week, and in any event if you don't wish to use either absolutely no one will hold a gun to your head and force you to.
    6) "This course to me was ridiculous, you will be doing a lot of reading, and testing before actual range instruction.... Most of which is really not necessary because most of your logging is now done electronically."
    Unless they have changed things drastically since I attended in 2006, you will be in a big rig grinding gears almost every single day, including day one. As for not needing to know the laws, rules, regulations and the ins and outs of the Hours of Service let me assure you as a driver with nearly one million OTR miles, knowing how to run a legal log is imperative. You may be surprised to know that you will be expected to carry paper logs in your new "paperless log" truck. Why? Because the electronic logs don't always work and you will log every hour you operate one way or the other.
    The rest of your post is as nonsensical and untrue as the points I rebut, above.

Other graduates of Crowder are welcome to chime in.

Jim

4. RoadRooster

RoadRooster Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Fort Myers, Florida
    Ditto what Jim said. Of all the people I know,Kellie is the only one I like...wish the op hadn't bad mouthed her...

I hope the op spends $6k or more, no room and board, gets maybe 15 minutes of windshield time per day just for a more balanced perspective

Starboyjim Thanks this.
  5. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Jr and Rooster, I'm agreeing with you. Even though I did not attend the Crowder course, I've driven for Conway Truckload as a company pilot and I/C, and the OP's comments just don't fit. I guess you get out what you put in, one of those deals.

Dreamboat and RoadRooster Thank this.
  6. abelldave2093

abelldave2093 Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Looking very seriously at Conway Truckload as well as a few other selected companies. We are an established team and looking for a better situation. I've ALWAYS believed that you get out of ANY situation what you are willing to put in/ give. Anyone tell me what I can expect? Thank you for your time, we generally stay out for 6 weeks at a time before looking to get some home time. Live in North Carolina

7. FreightlinerGuy

FreightlinerGuy Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2008
    Great Lakes, USA
    Just remember stuff may change in the next month or so with Con-way being brought out.

8. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    JopMO
    From what I understand. They love teams. I will have 4700 miles in 11 days solio Do the math. On true2blue.com, they list pay rates, and they DO PAY those rates. Also, they (XPO) claim NO changes for at least a year.

9. swifflekat

swifflekat Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2014
    do they do the cdl driving part on campus by same instructor

10. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    JopMO
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.