cooking in the truck

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking in the Truck | Trucker Recipe Forum' started by beezle, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Picture.Taker

Picture.Taker Light Load Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Earth
    I put a Frigidaire 3.1cf, 2 door fridge/freezer in here 3 years ago. It lasted beyond the 2 year extended warranty, so when it died, I bought another... $150 every couple years is okay with me... big mistake. The old model is no longer in production and the replacement uses isobutane as the refrigerant. It seems they want to get away from CFC's. I've had 4 of them fail in the last 6 months, the last 2 in under 30 days each. Thank goodness for the extended warranty. This one is going back for a refund and I'll find another one that uses Freon and if it breaks, fix it.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. My-Ke

My-Ke Light Load Member

I got a Haier mini-fridge from Walmart. It has a separate freezer that works great.
    It only cost $139 plus the 2-year warranty for $20 = $160
    Each year I make a warranty claim and give the mini-fridge away for free.
    Walmart gives me a gift card for a new mini-fridge. I just pay $20 for the warranty :)

BlueThunderr Thanks this.
  4. Crassius

Crassius Light Load Member

May 15, 2013
    You get what you pay for....

http://truckfridge.com/

Not the cheapest, but built like a rolls royce, and specifically designed for the abuse riding in a truck for 100's of thousans of miles.

HalpinUout and Picture.Taker Thank this.
  5. truck_n_vacation

truck_n_vacation Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Tomorrow I plan on picking up a table top bbq. I eat a lot of steak and fresh sausage and some fish and it just taste a whole lot better on the grill. But has been a little hard finding one this time of year.

Saw a guy at the truck stop parked next to me pull out his $30 grill and cooked a piece of salmon and grilled asparagus and baby red potatoes. AND I was jealous! Talked to him and said he's been cooking like that for a couple years now and lost 30lbs.

6. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Did you tell him he sucks!!!

chopper103in Thanks this.
  7. My-Ke

My-Ke Light Load Member

He only sucks if he didn't share, lol :)

8. Leviathan Tube

Leviathan Tube Medium Load Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Georgia
    Setting up a little cooking area at a truckstop seems like a good idea until I remember the typical sights and smells present there.

9. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

MAKE COFFEE IN TRUCK

I stumbled across this item on YouTube. It allows you to use K-Cups without the home K_Cup coffee maker. All you need is hot water, K-Cup, and this Presto MyJo.
    http://www.amazon.com/Presto-02835-Single-Coffee-Maker/dp/B00HIXSAXQ

The Presto MyJo is also available at many Walmarts, not in the coffee maker section, but in the camping section. I found mine next to the Coleman camping stoves. About $12. It comes with a reusable K-Cup so you can use ground coffee instead of expensive K-Cups. You can use a microwave or even a 12 volt immersion heater to make hot water, then pour and press to make fresh coffee..

Another option is Stanley Mountain Vacuum Coffee System
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Mountain-Vacuum-Stainless-1-1-Quart/dp/B00MCEVMT0
    This is essentially a thermos-sized french press. Dump in coffee grounds, pour in hot water, insert filter sleeve, wait, then remove the grounds. Presto, you have a thermos of hot coffee.

GSI, a company that makes tons of camping items, also has several items for making coffee in the truck. They range from commuter cup-sized french presses to essentially a nylon cloth filter that mounts on a coffee cup to brew one cup, or a larger item tha mounts into thermos bottle mouth to make a thermos of coffee.

Just search around YouTube for "camping coffee".

BlueThunderr Thanks this.
  10. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    My father was in WWII. Up until the day he died he had a small beat up pot he would boil water in and just dump the grounds in. He was so used to making coffee in his helmet over a fire.

11. breadtrk

breadtrk Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2015
    My truck kitchen. I take the dishes in with me when I shower. I also have a slow cooker and 4 in 1 clamshell grill. 2500 watt inverter and run the engine while cooking. I have no problem remembering to remove the strap when using the oven. Forgot to strap it back down once, once, now i lay the strap in the driver's seat.[​IMG]

stacks, My-Ke, NavigatorWife and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.