Coolant Pressure

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Fishell Trucking, May 26, 2015.

1. Fishell Trucking

Fishell Trucking Light Load Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Raymond Montana
    Ok tonight after my truck has been sitting for 4 days I was checking things out for tommorow and noticed that my coolant line on the top of the radiator felt presured up. So I checked the coolant and as I opened the rad. cap it did indeed have quite a bit of psi. Is this normal? Have I not noticed it before? I don't have any coolant comeing out the overflow line. I have did the bottle test and get no bubbles on the overflow line either. I just thought after sitting for that many days and not beeing ran the psi. wouldn't have been built up like that. I have had this engine overhauled and the counterbores cut I would hope I am not heading down that road again. Oh ya and the aircompressor has less than 140,000 miles on it. The engine and upgrades are listed in my sig. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I'd think that's a good thing ... No pressure loss means it can't possibly be leaking or equalizing anywhere right? There's supposed to be some psi under the cap. But after sitting a few days I would of figured it had slowly depleted ...

4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    You probably last closed the cap at a lower elevation, colder temperature, &/or higher barometric pressure -- just like a bottle of soda or shampoo...

5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    The above 2 replies would have been my guess too - no leaks= tight system, and elevation or temperature.

6. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    It is definitely a good thing holding pressure as you described. It you checked it on a warm day or with the sun on the hood it may well build a little pressure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.