Coolest haulinh moments/jobs?

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by jjoohhnn, Sep 19, 2015.

1. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    And my friends and family wonder why I drive...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tech10171968

tech10171968 Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I think one of my most memorable loads was a TL of potato chips from Salem, OR to Waco, TX. It wasn't the potato chips which were so notable; instead, it was the route I had to take to get them there.

What I didn't realize at the time was that the most direct route between the two towns meant spending at least half my trip at a few thousand feet above sea level (I forget the exact figure). Sealed containers (for example, a bag of Lay's) tend to do funny things at that altitude, like expanding - and potentially bursting. The way I saw it, I had two choices: (1) take the long way around, ensuring I wouldn't be at such a high altitude - but that meant driving 2 states out of my way (AZ and NM) and having a late delivery; or (2) taking the most direct route, ensuring on-time delivery but risking the trailer looking like a junk food IED went off in it. I tried to tell the load planner the folly of such a short arrival time given the circumstances but he apparently wasn't going to listen.

Since he intended on being so stubborn about it I went with the second option. I remember being paranoid about the condition of the load by the time I made it to the final. About halfway through my trip I got a QC message that my dispatcher was able to convince the load planner of the error of his ways; too bad it was too late to do anything about it at this point. When I finally bumped the dock in Waco I was sure that load was going to be rejected but, to my surprise, only two or three bags had exploded. Thank goodness for small miracles.

On the bright side that was quite a scenic route, and one of the reasons I fell in love with the southwest.

chopper103in Thanks this.
  4. Upright

Upright Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2012
    California's Best City
    I hauled a ships anchor chain right out of the water to the flatbed. It was a mess. Had know idea how to even chain it down.

5. Rock 'n Roll Relocater

Rock 'n Roll Relocater Medium Load Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Near Music City
    Hauling the bands and/or crews on concert tours. They wouldn't let me use a truck though. I had to use a bus.

chopper103in Thanks this.
  6. Ougigoug

Ougigoug Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Planet earth
    40K of chicken feet from Vancouver BC to Newark NJ.

When i got to Blaine POE the officer told me right away it will be a long very long inspection, they have opened each and every boxes and bags.....3 long days i was a kid back then when i have booked that load.

Now every days is crazy stuff high value high risk....and i like the challenge that come with it.

7. Flipflops

Flipflops Heavy Load Member

Oct 18, 2015
    I had a flat tire on my trailer close to Buffalo,NY. Pulled into T/A to change it. DMX the rapper was here. Their tour bus had a flat. It was awesome since I'm a big fan of his.

One time I had over 2 million $$$ worth of alcohol in my trailer. Was told to drop the trailer, and the bills were signed. However, I was parked at a wal mart parking lot. Was told to go sleep, and given cash money. Came back with my trailer, empty, and a bottle with a bow that I had to throw out because of the law. It was for some celebrity bash or some #### and I was the lucky un invited guest, but still it was cool.

Hauled a one time load that is over 20/mile from PA to TX...truck going underground from the pavement. I was in military class for 8 hours. Other 3-4 guys with me did the same. We drove straight though with log books exempt, and humvee's kept refueling us for free, and one kept going ahead to get us food drinks, however, they were around us the whole time and we couldn't stop until they said so.. Parked in dirt, and got into the humvees to go eat, and came back, our trucks were empty trucks,they took pictures with us as proof no damage. A lot of money, but it felt like it lasted forever!

8. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    So where were the US Marshals?

9. cnsper

cnsper Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Well for me the load is not the cool thing, the trailer used was....
    [​IMG]

10. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    Chicago Land Speedway, shortly after Dale Earnhearts death they ordered crash walls to be installed infront of the concrete walls... I was one of the lucky/unlucky ones to deliver straight ahead out of pit row. The banked turn was fine to climb and turn to setup but when they asked me to jack knife back into pits to exit, the angle of the dangle didn't jive with tractor vs flatbed frames and got tangled.

They said the only way out was the way I came in, I said exactly... thats my reason to go around the track. They said out of the question! My trucking co. of 1 employee was banned for life, and it was worth it!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.