Coping with asthma and lung issues OTR

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Jackhensy, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Jackhensy

Jackhensy Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Hi guys,

The good news: I am pretty excited right now since I got hired on with NH which is a midwest carrier. Today I met my trainer at a Pilot truck stop to do a drivers test and go on the open road.
    The bad news: I was coughing and short of breath while walking around the semi's idling(diesel fumes) at the truck stop. My lungs were burning and I had to use my inhaler.
    We then drove his truck onto the highway and my asthma improved when we left the truck stop. The diesel exhaust blows away from the cab when driving.
    However, how am I going to sleep at truck stops with all those trucks idling and spewing out loads of diesel fumes?

History: I was diagnosed with asthma and mild sarcoidosis a few years ago so I have to be careful with my lungs or it could develop into pulmonary fibrosis as I get older. My lungs have been abnormal for years, but functional and normal lung volumes. My medical is clear.

So why did I choose trucking if I have lung issues? 1.) I grew up on a farm -- so operating heavy machinery is something I enjoy 2.) I got laid off as a teacher and had no desire to go back 3.) Right now I work in retail and can't live on the low pay 4.) Trucking is my way out of poverty and has more opportunities

I am a natural when it comes to trucking. But my lungs are my only hindrance and know I should not be in this industry. I struggle with the "money vs. health" concept every day. But its tough to walk away from $800 per week when I can't even make that in two weeks in retail.

Anyone in here have asthma or can share ideas and methods to cope with it in trucking. Such as not sleeping in truck stops and looking for cleaner areas to rest? Crank a window? Maybe getting an air purifier for the truck? I want to make trucking sustainable but it seems impossible.

Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    I have asthma and chronic bronchitis. First get a neutralizer script from your pulmonary Doctor. It is much cheaper than Symbicort or the like. Continue using a rescue inhaler and if you can not park some place other than a truck stop at least park up wind. Never drive a tractor with a grass burner exhaust, down on the ground. I don't have any real issues, you should be OK.

4. Jackhensy

Jackhensy Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2015
    This is crazy. I need to carry a nebulizer and inhaler with me to drive a truck?
    I am better off staying in sales and being broke and not needing any meds for asthma.
    The govt should do their job and regulate diesel to make it cleaner and more friendly to the environment.
    Truckers are going to develop diseases like COPD breathing the fumes just to hold a job.

5. SHO-TYME

SHO-TYME Road Train Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Dahlonega, GA
    Maybe you should of looked into this before you started.

tinytim, Mudguppy and Ruthless Thank this.
  6. Jackhensy

Jackhensy Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2015
    I did. I looked into a lot.

When I am driving a truck on the highway I am fine.

7. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    You asked, I told you of my experience, sounds like maybe you should probably seek employment in another area.

Mudguppy Thanks this.
  8. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Are you friggen kidding me? It's whiney-assed hand wringing like this that resulted in all the neutered trucks out there, constantly needing to "regen" their exhaust filters, and my personal favorite snake oil- DEF. How's about looking into burger flipping?
    Oh noes! The grease fumes! Somebody should DO SOMETHING!!!!
    *runs away screaming the sky is falling!*

flyingmusician Thanks this.
  9. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Lol
    So you have a health impediment, and think the government regulating us all out of our businesses is the solution to your problem.
    Find a job that pays that you can do.
    If you can't walk around a truckstop without an inhaler: how will you fuel? Where will you shower? How will you be a trucker if you cannot be around trucks that are parked? Did all the extensive research you did on this career mention anything about being parked at shippers and receivers with dozens of other idling trucks?
    Being able to drive a truck, does not make you a trucker.

flyingmusician and Mudguppy Thank this.
  10. Jackhensy

Jackhensy Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Mudguppy how about you go stick a dirty sock in your mouth. I never asked for you to chime in with that sort of douchey-attitude.
    You are telling me to flip burgers? How about you go mop floors at truck stops?
    Go get your college degree and ####.

11. Jackhensy

Jackhensy Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2015

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.