COQUIHALLA 30 VEHICLE ACCIDENT

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by orcen, Aug 5, 2016.

1. yycTrucker

yycTrucker Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2015
    So what is the theory that happened?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pcfreak

pcfreak Heavy Load Member

Apr 22, 2007
    Alberta, Canada
    Wow! Good thing I don't have a radio in the truck. I couldn't give a rats ### what any of the garbage posing as professionals these days thinks. I don't wave to a single one of these losers anymore. They don't deserve my respect.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  4. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Every time I see that show, it's some d-bag with a towel on his head that gets stuck on the Coq.

LindaPV Thanks this.
  5. Runawayscreaming

Runawayscreaming Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Amiskwaciy Waskahikan
    Complete truck driver idiocy. Here is a reader comment on the Global TV article:

"Deb Dryborough ·
    Just an FYI... I heard from another driver who was on the scene of this accident that this truck drove thru the brake check with his brakes smoking... Drove thru...did not stop and let them cool down as he should have! The driver that told me this followed the truck down and said this truck was going way too fast."
    That would be the Zopkios Brake Check at the Coquihalla Summit.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  6. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Oh good lord...

I hope there are criminal charges in his future for gross negligence at the very least.

7. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    Can we get a company name please!

Sure looks like a Pattern Logistics logo but I can't confirm.. Wouldn't surprise me if it was, I reported them to the DOT a few months ago for unsafe equipment and idiot drivers.

8. Runawayscreaming

Nov 24, 2011
    Amiskwaciy Waskahikan
    In 1992 Burnaby dump truck driver Jatinderpal Singh Ubhi was convicted of criminal negligence causing death when he failed to check his brakes at the Horseshoe Bay Ferry terminal in Vancouver, subsequently killing two tourists from Ontario when the dump truck ran away due to brake failure. Ubhi's lawyer tried the defense that the truck driver was mentally retarded and therefore not responsible for his own actions.

I believe that the trucking company owners who hire mentally retarded drivers should be jailed for the actions of those drivers.

magoo68, LindaPV and Zeviander Thank this.
  9. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Well, to play Devil's Advocate here, they hired a defense lawyer and they are paid to come up with a defense.

If that's all they could come up with, then that's just sad. They should ask for their money back.

10. Runawayscreaming

Nov 24, 2011
    Amiskwaciy Waskahikan
    Given the state of the trucking industry that is a reasonable defense these days and it was taken into consideration by the Judge in the Ubhi case. The fact that there is now a Retarded Truck Driver defense in Canada is a statement about just how pathetic the trucking industry has become.

Re: Terminology

I realize that the current politically correct terminology is Mentally Challenged Truck Driver but Mentally Retarded is the more accurate medical and legal term used in court.

Madame Justice Southin in her decision about Ubhi said:

"The sentence imposed on Ubhi must be sufficient to bring home to all professional drivers of the behemoths of the road the grave responsibility which they have towards the public and the severity with which the law will view such “slothful and cavalier indifference”, to use Mr. Justice Wong’s words, as Ubhi exhibited."​

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
  11. Pullin2

Pullin2 Crusty Canuck

Nov 5, 2011
    Whoville Pub, Long Island
    My pal from Ft Nelson was stuck in this. Close to it. Brakes unofficially. But enuf coverage to cause someone to pay for their stupidity ..... if that's the case .....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.