Cost of Engine Swap??

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by areelius, Nov 25, 2015.

1. areelius

areelius Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Temecula Ca
    I have a 2000 Freightliner Classic Detroit 12.7. I am planning on putting in a newer engine but still a pre EGR block so everything will be the same. Does anyone know what the labor cost should be (approx)??
    Just to remove the existing engine and bolt in the new one. I know about updating the hoses, belts, gaskets, etc.. while I am prepping the newer engine.
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Depends if you are swinging a complete engine or have a long block that need to transfer all externals. Ball park about 30 hours for a long block 20 ish for a complete. Also depends on what else you find you want replaced when the engine is out

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    What's wrong with having your current engine inframed?

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    What does an "inframe" entail?

6. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Usually rebuilt/new head, liners, pistons, rods, bearings, oil pump, water pump, injectors, turbo and seals/gaskets. That's pretty much it. Maybe a new cam or some other hard parts (like front gear train) if they're worn out.

truckon Thanks this.
  7. Pool6710

Pool6710 Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    What's wrong with the motor that's in it?

8. Cory wood

Cory wood Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Ok, Inframe does not include water pump or oil pump or injectors or a turbo or a head for that matter. An Inframe kit is a head gasket set, oil pan gasket, liners, pistons and rod and main and cam bearings. Don't let unknowing people lead you wrong on what an Inframe is. Cat offers a very complete platinum Inframe that does include the aforementioned parts but that's a very high dollar kit. I would certainly put a reman head and Inframe kit all at once but it's all about what your wallet can handle. Dealers will try to talk you into all the accessories as well so they can guarantee it or warranty the build, which is not a bad thing but not necessary if finances don't allow. I would recommend the oil pump for sure.

9. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I should clarify that what I listed is what I do while doing an inframe. But yes you are correct. My theory is do everything and you'll have less headaches down the road.

sshewins, MACK E-6 and truckon Thank this.
  10. Cory wood

Cory wood Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2015
    I agree 100 percent, just dealing with customers you have to be really clear about what they are and aren't getting.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  11. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Fixing engines is always a big job this is something you always have to factor in when contemplating being an O/O or a leassee kind like a mortgage one must always factor in interest rate rises to be able to pay for it when it happens bottom line is you''ll be up for a few thousand dollars i'd be more worried about who it is that's doing the work on the engine, and of course all expenses are tax deductible anyway.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.