Cost to run hotshot truck

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Youngtrucker19, Jan 28, 2015.

1. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN

Thanks so much for the information. That is very helpful. What service/load board do you use to get your loads?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    I agree with getting started with what you have. Most of my runs are day trips and back home every night. The problem I ran into when I first started was the with a smaller trailer pretty much everything that could fit is considered a partial load which in return means partial pay.

Most everything I haul is considered a full load and pays as such. It's just my .02 that I think the OP will quickly find out that the loads that are available to him with his current setup are going to be far and few between.

flatbedcarrier and farmboy73 Thank this.
  4. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've tried several, but I've stuck with Internet Truckstop because it works for me. I can sort postings into an order that puts almost all my potential loads up front. Or I can sort it so that it shows new postings as they happen so that I can call on a load as soon as it hits the board. I don't use all the features available, so it's very affordable.

When I get a load, I can also look at loads coming out of the area to which I'm hauling to try and find a backhaul. I may train my wife to use the board so that she can work to find me trips while I'm out. Once in awhile I end up with a nasty deadhead just because I didn't have time to do all the research on potential loads coming back.

Last week I took a double load from Ohio to North Dakota - one to Fargo and the other to Minot. It paid well enough that the 1300 mile deadhead back was still worth it. If I'd had someone to get me a backhaul, though, it could have been much more profitable. Internet Truckstop is the only board I've found that's flexible enough to work with this way.

farmboy73 Thanks this.
  5. RAM3500

RAM3500 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2016
    I heard that a flat trailer is the way to go that way you can haul cars and anything else. Any suggestions?

6. Midwest1

Midwest1 Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2014
    If a flatbed trailer is what your talking about then yes there versatile

7. RAM3500

RAM3500 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Yes that's what I'm talking about. Thanks

8. RAM3500

RAM3500 Bobtail Member

Jul 12, 2016
    How hard is it to get loads yourself? Without using a broker, my wife doesn't work so she could probably do that for me.

9. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Without a broker it can be very difficult. You want to make as many broker connections as possible. There's a lot of good brokers out there.

mchlshltz Thanks this.
  10. rfraser31

rfraser31 Bobtail Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Is this thread still active? About to get into the industry in the Pittsburgh area and had some questions

11. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    Ask away thread is very much active.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.