Cost to strengthen a truck frame to support heavier axles.

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by UltraZero, Jul 8, 2015.

1. UltraZero

UltraZero Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2013
    So... I was wondering it is cheaper. to buy a newer truck with what I want or to upgrade what I have. I want to beef up my frame to be able to support heavier loads. (different axles, transmission, etc)

What do you think? Does anyone know the cost?? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Rowe Equipment out of Otter Bien, Indiana. Stretch, add a drop axle, double frame, re-rate your suspension tag on your door jam, all controls, all you have to do is buy wheels and tires, out the door $7500

You can buy the back half of a heavier truck for around $4000 for the stronger axles, all suspension included and have everything shipped to them.

marineman227 Thanks this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I got a quote for about $1300 material and labour from a steel fab shop to bend 2 new 12' long by 1/4" thick frame rail inserts as I need to replace the double frame over the diffs on my W900A. The quote does not include labour to install the rails as I am doing the work myself.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  5. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    all my pusher axles come from rowe. good people to deal with.

6. UltraZero

Jul 18, 2013
    Hey. awesome. I was curious about the price. Sounds not too bad. I'll give them a call. Tomorrow. Thanks much.

7. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    the axle from rowe is a 25000lb rated axle. about $3200 shipped to your house is what the last one cost me.

8. UltraZero

Jul 18, 2013
    I have a truck that is paid off. I was wondering if it is worth purchasing a newer truck to allow me to go into CA and trying to get what I want on that truck as apposed to updating the truck I have (Lots of changes, Update frame, Stronger Axles, Different gears in rear end, heavier front end, Transmission upgrade..

9. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    My last truck had typical freight specs, I don't remember all the numbers now, but I opted to buy a factory 4 axle instead of building one. And I have a shop at home that I could of done it in.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.