CPAP Compliance and DOT Physical

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by kpdm0712, Jun 17, 2015.

1. kpdm0712

kpdm0712 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Wild Murphy,

So all in all, wear the CPAP for at least 4 hours a day (12am to 11:59pm) while sleeping and you should be okay. Correct?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wild Murphy

Wild Murphy HAPPY TRUCK DRIVER

Mar 25, 2014
    Yep.

4. kpdm0712

kpdm0712 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2014
    Thank you for all of your help. :)

5. OriginalBigfoot

OriginalBigfoot Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    That would be a BIPAP, we're talking about a CPAP, constant pressure machine...

6. OriginalBigfoot

OriginalBigfoot Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    If you ask the doctor how to be in compliance, he/she will answer all of your questions. My doctor was the one who told me to let it run if I didn't complete my sleep cycle to be in compliance. Don't depend on what truck drivers tell you, they have inaccurate answers for just about every topic known to man. Just ask the doctor...

TequilaSunrise Thanks this.
  7. AirHere

AirHere Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2016
    I recently started CPAP and am having a hard time. My problem is in exhaling. I tried the "Cover the nose only" type, no good. "Full Mask type...no good, "Nasal Pillow" type...better, but I still cant seem to keep it on 4 hours. I dont take it off consciously, as I must do it while sleeping. Now, Im suppose to have 70% (4 hours per night) usage. I do want to use it, as when I go to sleep, it is one and doesn't bother me, but I do know there are times I feel like I cant exhale. That must be when I take it off! I hear good things from many that use it. Im just not sure what to do to make it better. I have talked to ResMed and they do make adjustments, but it doesn't seem to help long! Anyone relate?

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    STOP thinking about sleep like a bank.

Let me tell you this. WHATEVER sleep a human gets as long it's REM and back properly (There are specific cycles a human requires, 4 hours is a BARE minimum) is gone when the human wakes up and toxins and wear plus tear accumulate in body over a period of the day until sleep is required.

Failure to sleep hurts you and eventually helps to kill you.

Im sorry to say that if your husband is sleeping hardly at all or very badly it's a early grave for him eventually. Much less unemployment.

Trucking is not going to be suitable or safe in a few days time if he cannot get a night's or day's sleep. You gots to have your wits, mind and nerves about you properly sharp and awake on the road. Or someone or several someones stand to die.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I hate to be the one raining on the parade here, but it's certainly a disability and will take about a year to process with SSdI approval (First two is usually declined when you file) and then two years before the Medicare kicks in. At that point you go to DHS to have the State cover the Medicare premiums or you pay it each month.

10. KriegHund

KriegHund Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2015
    On a hill south of heaven
    Keep using the cpap, yes it does take time to get used too. The more you use it the sooner you adjust. I had the same problem when first started using one. Feels like trying to breathe in a 60 mile per hour wind, but your body will adjust and you'll not have that issue anymore. Also ask the Dr. If they will set the machine to ramp up to full pressure rather than full pressure immediately.
    Good luck.

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  11. rcelmo

rcelmo Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2015
    When I get up my CPAP shows how many hours I slept. It does not
    show that part of the night was on say wed and the rest on thu. As far
    as I know the requirement is for a total of 4 hrs at least 70% of the
    nights.
    How is your fiance logging his nights? It sounds to me that his
    company is not giving him a sufficient break to sleep. Sounds like
    he is the second driver on a grocery route or something similar to
    that. The first driver logs driving time while second driver logs as
    sleeper berth but is expected to get up and help unload the product.

If this is the case you are right to be worried about his health.
    Humans need to get sleep. They can skip a night or two but
    eventually need to catch up again.

Not sure what the penalty will be if he is found to be
    non-compliant at the time of his physical. My experience
    is there is not much tolerance for actual non-compliance.
    Good luck with this issue.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.