CPAP machine cerification hours????

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Viking84, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Viking84

Viking84 Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Valdosta Georgia
    Recently got a CPAP machine and should be returning to work shortly.
    Have a question about the 70% and 4hr compliance that DOT requires.

How does that work?

Does that mean that I only have to use it as little as 7 out of every 10 nights for a minimum of 4hrs each night.
    Or is it a minimum of 4hrs every single night, and missing one night would put you outside of the compliance?

Thanks in advance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. childerscarl1

childerscarl1 Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    skunkflats,ark
    My understanding is a minimum of four continious hours every night.
    Been using a cpap three years now.

Texnmidwest Thanks this.
  4. Viking84

Viking84 Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Valdosta Georgia

Have you ever missed a night?

If so, how often can you miss using it and still be withing DOT regulations?

5. grusco

grusco Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Rosemount, MN
    I've had a cpap for about 5 yrs. When I started using it it was a pain. I'd take it off in the middle of the night so I could sleep. After about 6 months or so I started getting used to it. Now I couldn't sleep well without it. I use it from the time I go to bed until I wake in the morning. I use the nose pillow type mask, not the mask that covers part of your nose/mouth.

6. childerscarl1

childerscarl1 Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2009
    skunkflats,ark
    Yes I've missed a few nights , but wearing it all night gives you more hours of use.
    That way you are increasing your average every night, verses only doing the minimum.
    So if you do miss a night its no big deal. When they down load the smart card on your
    Cpap machine it shows everything. Maximum daily average use, minimum average daily use
    Total days with no use or under 4 hrs. What ever you do make sure you stay in the 85 to 90
    Percent range to be in compliance.

7. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    The DOT doc is probably not going to look at the printout close enough to see a missed night or 2. I take a letter from my sleep doc stating I am being treated and am compliant. It has his contact info and says to call him with any questions and concerns. They never asked for my printout.

8. grusco

grusco Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Rosemount, MN
    Just got the word from Roehl that the whole CPAP compliance issue is a DOT thing.

(Don 't get me started on that federal department!--but the concept of Nazi comes to mind-let me see your papers!)

So, my CPAP which is in perfect working condition but over 5 years old does not have a smart card thus the feds can't tell if I'm in compliance. So I'll have to shell out $400 to $700 (after insurance pays their portion) for a new machine before I can go to work for Roehl (or anyone). Never mind that I use it all night, every night and have for years. I just can't prove my innocence to the DOT.

9. buckmanmike

buckmanmike Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2010
    in the country, georgia
    I drive for Roehl and just started the cpap machine. Bad timing on my part in delaying apnea test, I am losing 10+ days of work to get compliant. to keep my license current ( it now expires when DOT physical expires in Georgia) I went and paid for a DOT physical to renew my license. DOT doesn't require apnea testing at this time, only the lawyers at Roehl. I don't blame Roehl, they have alot of assets to protect. But I was told I will have to get another DOT physical when I go back to work Thur/Fri. I don't mind doing another physical, just wondering why they wouldn't save the money? I have the long form and medical card.
    Anyway, I feel no different since starting to use the cpap machine. I was diagnosed with mild apnea, so I thinking all this is lobbyist, attorneys, manufacturers finding another way to steal from the working man.

Bayle Thanks this.
  10. tnt440

tnt440 Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Grusco-I have a Fischer Paykel machine thats 9 years old and they can download the information from it.Just because it does not have a card doesn't mean they can't get the info.

11. Tfisk

Tfisk Bobtail Member

May 22, 2013
    I work at a sleep center and view downloads from cpap machines daily. A truck driver must show he/she is able to wear his/her machine > 4 hours per night at least 70% of the time. So That would be at least 22 days out of 30 days. Usually a doctor can review the download and sent a letter to your DOT physician stating you are compliant. Hope this helps.

Zangief and str8rida Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.