CPM and revenue debate

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by againstthewind, Oct 19, 2016.

1. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
    you hear so much talk about cpm, ive heard many drivers say this, "it doesnt matter how much per mile you get if you dont get any miles", i know this is an owner op thread but whether your an owner op or a company driver wouldnt all that matters be how much revenue you make and how much time you spend making it. maybe ive never worked anywhere that ive gotten "no miles", ive had bad weeks but in a bad week its still better to have a higher cpm, so even as a company driver i would think its not about miles but how much your making per day and how much time you spend making it. you always hear owner ops that talk about revenue not miles, i would think it would be the same even as a company driver. maybe im an idiot an dont buy into the work harder not smarter model that most companies seem to go by. any thought from owner ops.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The truck will eat the same per mile for fuel. More miles will only decrease your fixed costs that are based on time. More miles does not always = more money. The gross will be larger, so will the fuel and maintenance bills.

I could tell you I gross $300,000 a year. It would mean nothing if I drove 180,000 miles and at the end of the day I paid the driver + company profit worked out to be marginally more than if I worked for a company and drove my butt off like that. Now consider if I do that high paying north east stuff and gross say $200,000, but only drive 80,000 miles. If I put the same amount of money in my pocket either way, which would you choose? The first guy will have a worn out truck faster than the 2nd guy. Not to mention the 2nd guy will have more free time.

fordconvert Thanks this.
  4. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    ya thats not a hard choice, and for me living in the northeast its even better. i used to work with guys where we got paid by the run, it was a good job and good pay but these guys would fight over the highest paying runs, they were the highest paying runs but they would do the runs that u would have to work an extra 2 hrs a day for what was only about 20$ more per day,but i guess 20$ per day times 4 wks is about 400$ a month, but they were workn about an extra 40hrs a month for that 400$ so it never made any sense to me other than the fact that they were in debt and had to make that little extra to get by.that just didnt seem worth it to me. i guess there are many ways to look at it but its simple for me, make the most most money for least amount of time, even if that means less on the gross side. i think im just getting sick of the company driver mentality. ive noticed its getting harder for me to even talk to other company drivers anymore

5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    You have to find a balance between the two that makes since. No point in running yourself and your truck ragged for peanuts. Also no point in hardly running but boasting about some big RPM figure.

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Let them do it. You gotta do what works best for you. If someone has stretched themselves to the point they are using 95%+ of their disposable income to finance their lifestyle, that is their problem. I guess financial freedom is more important to me to get there at 40 or 50 rather than spending it all for the 'now' on a new pickup truck or various toys like that. I will keep my beater which I rarely drive anyway and retire years before the guy with all the new toys. I will wave at him from my porch every day when he is still going to work.

CallOfTheWild and againstthewind Thank this.
  7. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    At the end of the year, how much did you make (net), how much did you work, and how much did you enjoy (or hate) your work?

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I look at things very similar to you as I am more concerned with what is left after all expenses and how hard I had to work. Like others have said you have to do what is best for you since everyone has different likes and needs. I have found that in my situation the shorter trips will gross less weekly, however the all miles traveled rate is much higher therefore my net is about the same. I also can get home daily and this is worth quite a bit to me. I have the ability to run long on weeks I get bored and want to see the country. I also am willing to work less hours to have a happy home/work balance. This ratio changes the older I get and the more financially secure I am.

againstthewind Thanks this.
  9. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    thats about it, sounds kinda crazy but i go more on feeling, how much did i make that yr, how hard did i work , how much time did i have off and how worn out do i feel overall. and like you said did i enjoy myself. problem is you get so many drivers that will say im not out here to enjoy myself, im out here to run.lol guess thats why so many are miserable

10. againstthewind

Oct 26, 2012
    yes exactly, my problem is they start lookn at you like ur the oddball lol i was workn with a driver at a company and one summer i was thinkn of leavn so they put me on part time, i went into work one day and hadnt seen this driver for awhile, they asked me what i was doing with a confused look on their face, maybe because im not that old where i would retire so they didnt know what i was doing. this driver had just bought a new 35k$ dodge charger, when i said i went over to part time untill i figure out my next step, they seemed very confused. i thought to myself well that brand new car couldv bought you the summer off with your family. but ur comin in here 6days a wk and dont seem too happy lol i dont care what anyone else does, its when they try an make you feel like somthin is wrong with you that bugs me, i wonder if this is what they do with younger kids,its no wonder younger people are so confused, and also i was driving the junkiest old van into work everyday so that didnt help things, well it did for me lol

gokiddogo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.