Cross border with pets.

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by kevin7898, Apr 23, 2016.

1. kevin7898

kevin7898 Light Load Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Fort McMurray, AB
    I'm doing cross border long haul now and am looking at dognapping one of moms dogs or adopting one from the spca, my question is do i have to have any paperwork to bring a pet with me stateside? I would assume that all shots and whatnot have to be up to date.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mikestime

mikestime Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2007
    White Rock,BC
    As long as you have the paper work from your Vet on all shots to show they are up to date. You will be okay. I never had to show any, and was only asked about one time.

kevin7898 Thanks this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Had my dog on for 4 years and took her in and out of Canada many times. We use Petsmart for all her shot records and she is on the monthly plan so any shots or exams get paid a small monthly fee and they give me a portfolio with all her shot records up to date to show any interested parties. Canada never looked at her shot records but they did frisk her when she came through the border.

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I would suggest making sure youu have all the papers.I've entered Canada with my dog Tiny and customs never asked for proof dog had shots but there is always a first time.I would also suggest getting a pet permit from company and I thi,k they'll also give you a sticker you put on trk.

6. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    I've only been asked once for it but I have a health certificate from the vet.

7. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I travel back and forth across the border with 2 cats in the truck.

We have only ever been asked if their rabies shots are up to date, which of course they are.

We were only asked 1 time to produce proof, entering through Detroit.

Aside from that, the only issue I've encountered is that some Canadian pet foods contain byproducts that are not allowed to cross the border (lamb, notably). I feed my cats real food for human consumption (pork, beef and fish) so it's never a problem. Buy your chow in the USA and you should be fine.

kevin7898 Thanks this.
  8. pmcfee

pmcfee Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Just make sure you have a record of rabies vaccination. Your vet will give you a signed letter showing the record if you ask for one, stick it in your truck binder and forget about it. You will likely never need it, but better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. dancecanyon

dancecanyon Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2015
    yep--have your up-to-date vaccination papers handy in case you are asked. you are likely going to find from here on in that having a dog makes the crossing much more enjoyable. sometimes i get handed over a biscuit with my documents from the officers.

10. dancecanyon

dancecanyon Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2015
    oh, and i've found that it can be hard to make it back to the home vets for appointments but every vet i've inquired at on the road--US and Canada--has seen me and my girl. great international care!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.