CRST Malone, maybe they're having a bad year, or maybe they are just bad

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by David Schwarz, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Doon1971

Doon1971 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2015
    Central Pa.
    All kinds of loads in Bettendorf, 145 mile dead head, but it will keep you moving instead of sitting.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Less then $500 gross, (excluding equipment expense?). Jee where do I sign up? Tarpping too?

Well you have a point about the middle men skimming off the top. If more truckers realized the office folk are just phone answerers in between the customer and the real work, fewer would sign up for fleaces at these mega crap companies.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  4. David Schwarz

David Schwarz Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    I don't really want to disrespect them, but they do operate as if they are the primary concern here, believe it or not, a good part of our entire economy has to do with how smoothly freight moves. We don't need negotiators involved, we need simply supply and demand to do it's work. If Truck drivers and shippers had a much more direct link, it would do the whole country some good. People who are number hungry can really lose track of the true purpose of their job, and that's to be a productive part of society. It's hard enough to be a productive member of American society as the spirit is decayin. add in that doing what the people who have power over you want you to do is actually supportive to the decay more than working to change it, then you feel like you are working to build hell. The design is a failure, and it needs to be changed, a reality that exists in all corners of the way or country operates.

5. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    If you want to give me $1.30/ mile that's fine, actually I'll feel good about that because the majority of what I deliver is either goin to create more freight, or going to be used to build a world where people can live comfortably without more freight, I'm fine with that too, let's build a jellystone park big enough for many people to live in year round, and I'll bring my guitar to the camp fire when its done, we won't need an economy in that lifestyle will we? However, so long as people making 100k a year are using those resources to build 5,000 square meter homes instead of family oriented neighborhoods, then we need freight to keep moving as much as possible. If you DO pay me $1.30/ mile, I'm going to need 3,500 miles per week tho , and I'll be happy to help you hellians build your big fancy homes, where only people who reject everyone without money can live. So that at least I can create a balance by helping those who are building for peace, and sustainability, by investing my money in the kind of neighborhood where families meet families, and neighbors are friends. Even if that means I have to invest in a different country.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  6. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    Listen 500 dollars anybody can make it being home every night and not dealing with the idiots we have to deal on daily basis. go back to the drawing board and find out what are you doing bad because i know anybody with a 10dollar plus job can make it in a week with a little overtime.

7. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    I could make it on much less than that once I get my filipina sweetie here with me and don't have to worry about paying for her immigration anymore, and proving my income is high enough to support her as part of that. I'd even make it on much MUCH less than that if the Philippines would allow ME to immigrate and get an $8/day job. As long as I had enough dough to buy a sustainable home (to make up for not having heritage in that country) I'd be ok with $8/ day. However, while going to the Philippines is an easy task, being allowed to legally work there on a low paying job is a whole other story. Life has no balance for me.

8. brads6.9.

brads6.9. Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Tell City, IN
    I have been with Malone for about 5 years.
    1. The load board is a tool you can see how freight is moving around the country. Is is good for getting an idea of where the good rates and lanes are. You also can call on loads it's updated every 15 min.
    2. You have three different types of agents "company agents" independent agents and CRST logistic agents.
    The loads you see with no fuel surcharge are logistic loads most are cheap.
    3. Independent Agent loads are your bread and butter you have to build relationships with agents. Pick up on time and deliver on time no damage ever!
    4. Call ahead get you truck on the list for the next available loads tell them where you wanna go. If agents call you try to take the load. Keep in mind it has to pay enough and go to a decent location.
    5. The best loads never see the load board. Agents attempt to cover loads with empty trucks 1st.

Here are some tips
    Do not deadhead till you have a reserved load
    Do not sit for days go to the nearest load you can get on the truck
    Your truck has to make at least $300-$500 profit after fuel a day if not you would be better off as a company driver.
    An O/O is responsible for keeping your truck loaded not the Company.
    Broker loads are a last resort!

My average this week was $2.96 per mile ran 1434 miles.
    I left Monday morning and was home Friday morning. I load Sunday this load pays $1847.00 line haul $55.00 tarp $121.00 fuel on 723 miles.
    Freight is slow stay in IL,IN,OH,PA,MI,KY, that's were the money is right now. Load unload and reload everyday. If you want to run over the weekend you have to take a long load. That will usually put you in a bad area.
    The money is still there if run short and hard.
    Good Luck!

Doon1971 and David Schwarz Thank this.
  9. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    Its not worth the risk for me, if what you're saying is true, then it is still a fragile situation as the more people doing that, the less freight per person. I'm not really trying to express that I hate Malone here, or that other drivers should stay away, but you've made it very clear that the are specific things, in detail that drivers must do, aND that allowing a fleet manager manage you is a poor option. So, with that in mind, the value of leasing as a flatbed driver just isn't there. If every driver followed your example, you'd lose too because those loads you're talking about would get devoured. The supply of otr flatbed drivers is just too great now, and the demand is down. I will do you all the favor of getting out.

10. brads6.9.

brads6.9. Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Tell City, IN
    Yes the L/P program is rough way to go. I would only advise it for an very experienced flatbed driver. It is a steep learning curve to find out where the good freight is.
    You are right you cannot depend on a dispatcher to run your business.
    Good Luck I hear you can make $$ Pulling one of the box things around!

11. David Schwarz

Dec 16, 2015
    Indiana
    I'm crossing my fingers for a local job I've seen that pays $520/ wk and you only work 6-8 hours 4 days. Also flatbed, I'll be making more than my current average.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.