Crude Oil Companies Question - SNAFU????

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by 31N90W, Aug 29, 2015.

1. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Greetings to All,

I would like to ask question about crude oil hauling companies.

Three (3) months ago, I transitioned from a positing as a vacuum truck driver to a position with a crude oil transport company. My question is, are they all about the same when it comes to the quality, and reliability of the equipment? In my current position, it seems that I cannot get through the through the day without something going wrong, the Garnett fails during loading, flat tires, the centrifuge fails, lights are not working, etc. Is it just the company that I'm working for, or are they all about the same when it comes to quality of equipment? My thinking at present is to get some 6 months of experience in hauling crude oil, then transitioning to a better outfit . What bothers me most is that some of the problems are DOT violations ,for example, the company buys cheap used recap tires; recently, one of my tires was missing chunks of rubber, and you could see the steel belt. When I pointed this out to the mechanic, he suggested that since the tire was still holding air, that I simply use the truck until the tire went flat, then he would replace it. That is ridiculous, I don't want to be driving 65 mph loaded with 185 barrels of crude, and have a tire blow. I told him to either replace the tire, or I would park the truck, he decided to replace the tire. So, are all crude oil transport companies about the same when it comes to equipment, or do some companies actually have equipment that is DOT compliant? Any information would be greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance.

31N90W

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Where are you working? The lower the rates the less worthwhile it is being in that line of work. Not all companies are the same but as cheap as the rates have gotten it doesn't surprise me that people are letting their equipment fall apart

4. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    The moment that I hit the send button, I knew that someone would ask where I work. I'm going to respectfully decline to name the company. I don't want to seem like an ingrate, after all, the company gave me a position without any previous experience in hauling crude. My question was\is not so much about this particular company, it is, in general, are they all as indifferent to issues with equipment? I hope you understand my declining to name the company.

5. Mad Frenchman

Mad Frenchman Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Texas
    it is the driver s responsibility that is engaged if you decide to drive a non compliant truck.
    I would suggest trying to talk to your manager about those safety issues (he might not even know his fleet is run like that...) and if not and you are part of a larger company go to the safety dude, or Dot regulation .

Failing equipment due to poor maintenance is another problem though.
    Some company actually care about being legal and having proper equipment, some don't - If you can't get anything done as improvement goes, I would suggest you to find another outfit asap, - ie before the 6 months you set yourself - whatever their speach of "we care about our people " is BS, they dont , as a general rule.
    Take care of yourself and find yourself a better place !

6. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Mad Frenchman.......Bingo! You hit the nail on the head !!! I fully understand that when I turn the key, and press the accelerator, it is all on me. I am ultimately responsible, and that is a part of the issue. Where I work, they know that too, so, if they issue me (we slip seat) equipment that is less than DOT compliant, and I drive it, its not on them, its on me. So what I do at present is, when I am issued less than DOT complaint equipment, I simply pull it into the shop, and hand the mechanic the key, and ask them to please fix XY or Z before I go out. That seems to be working for now, but I don't know how much longer they're willing to tolerate that. What I refuse to do is take a truck out that might get you or me killed. Today marks month 3, only 3 more months to go before I have my 6 month of experience. Then I will be looking for another gig.

7. Texasmiss

Texasmiss Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2015
    To answer your question I have worked for the 3 major companies and now a minor oimo it has went down hill when it comes to getting supplies, truck repair, etc. They will talk safety all day then not keep the trucks and equipment up. They all seem to do the same, if you take the truck out of service you go home and don't work if they don't have a spare. If they do ....it's full of its on suprises which is even worse because you don't know what they are.
    This is much worse with the oil prices way down. What i do is pick my battles. I'm not happy with this but i have to work.

8. Mad Frenchman

Mad Frenchman Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Texas
    And this is exactly what they are counting on , they ll always find someone to take an unsafe truck because he needs the money and/or can't afford not to work.

and then you are right about the 'choosing' your battles. However make sure you report all the out of order stuff on your dvir , they are required to keep them. - make a copy for you (pic with your phone) just to cover your ### though.

Texasmiss Thanks this.
  9. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Lots of the smaller outfits up here in the Utica seem a bit slipshod, including several QC affiliates. The larger players (Marathon, Kenan Advantage in particular) have absolutely impeccable equipment, judging by what I see on the pads. Guess it all depends on who you're working for and how deep their pockets are.

10. glenn71

glenn71 Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2013
    I know that when I was hauling crude, we had problems with the trucks, mostly because they were old and the lease roads were beating them up. Never had problems with things like centrifuges or pumps though. At least not on a regular basis. I only did crude for a few months though, and I worked for an O/O who had old trucks and an attitude that suggested that any problem with the truck was the drivers fault.

Matter of fact, when anything went wrong, his first question was " How did you break it?" Kinda hard to work for people like that.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  11. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Smaller things like marker lights I might let slide, depending on how dot enforcement is the area. Tires and brakes and air pressures are a no go for me. I'll park it and miss some work if have to...even change jobs. It's not worth the liability or the danger to yourself.

A whole lot of the time the breakdown is either communication or a mechanic with a poor attitude or work ethic. I've seen both. We had some problems recently that all the drivers were up in arms over, threatening to quit, cussing the boss (not to his face but to each other). I had him on the phone day and mentioned the problem (no names, no drama, just mentioned the problem). His response? "Hell NO we don't do that! It's the first I've heard about!" Problem was fixed the next day.

Mechanics are just like the rest of us. They have good days and bad. They get tired of the same old rat race all the time too. I've had my share of problems getting along with mechanics too, simply because I'm picky about the truck and I don't take no for an answer very well. If you can ever develop a good relationship with those guys though, you'll be in the best maintained truck in the fleet. You would be surprised how far a cold soda will get you on a hot day...or a case of beer to take home with them...if they drink.

Why are you waiting on the 6 month mark? If you have a year or two hauling water and this company has trained you to work oil, you just might find that you're hirable now. Applications don't cost much.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.