csa warning points?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 71mack, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    You forgot....They are quintupled for Swift, Werner, and CRE company drivers.....:biggrin_25523:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    this is what i have found from the CSA mandate*pages 17 & eighteen*

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A Severity Weight from 1 (less severe) to 10 (most severe) is assigned to each
    applicable violation. See the Unsafe Driving Table (Table 1, Appendix A) for the
    severity weights corresponding to each violation. The severity weighting of each

violation cite accounts for the level of crash risk relative to the other violation
    cites used in the BASIC measurement. The sum of all severity weights yielded by
    any one inspection for violations in any one BASIC is capped at a maximum of
    30. This cap of 30 is applied before the severity weights are multiplied by the
    time weight.
    A Time Weight of 1, 2 or 3 is assigned to each applicable violation based on how
    long ago it was recorded. Violations recorded in the past 6 months receive a time
    weight of 3. Violations recorded between 6 and 12 months ago receive a time
    weight of 2. All violations recorded earlier (older than 12 months but within the
    past 24 months) receive a time weight of 1. This time weighting places more
    emphasis on recent violations relative to older violations.
    Time and Severity Weighted Violation is a violation's severity weight multiplied
    by its time weight.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

so if i get this correct, the o/p will get hit with a 2 X's.....points....= 6.

which now, may be where i got the 'doubled" points with-in that first year...

4. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Ahh, so x3 for 6 months, then x2 for 6-12 months.
    Yea, I was just digging also, had not gotten to that section yet.

I did find this though. Not a reply to this thread, but to another the other day. But I felt I would post it here. It has to do with "driver points" vs Carrier points.
    Also remember, the psp shows no scores it just shows the inspections and violations.
    The company's are adding numbers and adjusting weights. The numbers in CSA are all carrier numbers. Drivers do not have a score that will see daylight outside of the FMCSA for a while.

1. Appendix A in the SMS Methodology lists all violations and the corresponding "violation points". Does the column showing "driver responsibility" mean both driver and carrier will be assessed points or just the driver?
      The violations count against the carrier whether the "driver responsible" answer is yes or no. The SMS contains a tool, called Driver Safety Measurement System, that enables enforcement personnel to identify drivers with safety performance across employers and to address those drivers during a carrier investigation . The "driver responsible" column in the violation tables indicates whether a violation would be attributed to the driver, as well as the carrier, in this new tool.

5. Rerun8963

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    correct, it shows violation per FMCSR, then level I, II, or III the time/date, but, when everyone has the point system at hand, they will know the point value.

now, my thoughts are the 30 point "cap"......on page 17 or maybe 16 i think. i wonder if that will be the "maximum" a driver can receive before intervention...???? i'll need to know more about that "cap". there was never any mention of a "total" a driver could accumulate.

6. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    And that is the $64,000 question... no one will know until the FMCSA goes live with this. None of that has been published yet, so the peer-group ranking and so forth is a mystery yet.

7. Rerun8963

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee

and in atypical guberment lackluster quest for control, it may change yet again....OR be pushed back again as well...

hell, it COULD BE CSA3010.....!!!!

truckerdave1970 Thanks this.
  8. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    1. The Safety Measurement System (SMS) methodology document states that a carrier can receive no more than 30 severity points in a single inspection. If a carrier has more than 30 severity points, which points are carried over to SMS?
    2. This statement is not entirely correct. The SMS methodology document states that the sum of all severity weights yielded by any one inspection for violations in any one Behavior Analysis and Safety Improvement Category (BASIC) is capped at a maximum of 30. The inspection cap of 30 applies to the sum of violation severity weights within a BASIC, not summed across all BASICs. This rule prevents one bad inspection from overwhelming the evaluation of a particular BASIC and allows SMS to assess a carrier's safety across several inspections. Note that the severity weights reflect the relative importance of each violation within each particular BASIC. They cannot be compared meaningfully across the various BASICs. For example, a violation with a severity weight of 7 in the Vehicle Maintenance BASIC is not intended to be equivalent to a violation with a severity weight of 7 in the Driver Fitness BASIC.

9. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    ANY kind of written warning issued = points.

Many, myself included, think this is very unfair as warnings cannot be contested.

Making matters worse, I'm not sure LEO's even fully understand this

10. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Hell...They don't understand the regs fully......But how many thousands are there?....No wonder we have problems....Too many regs.....:biggrin_2556:

11. shredfit1

shredfit1 Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MN
    tell this to the Illinois DOT... or any warning not just a ticket

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.