CSA2010 and log book form and manner violations

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Mike_MD, Nov 10, 2009.

1. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Another consequence of getting rid of the experienced drivers with "too many points" in favor of the cheaper rookie with no points: If you think the highways are dangerous now, just wait till the rookies rule the road! And I dont want to think of how many mirrors and hoods are going to be ripped off at truckstops!!!
    Just imagine how much worse driver turnover is going to become! Too many points, NEXT!
    And when do we start holding non-professional drivers to stricter standards too??? Last time I looked, we have to use the same roads these "amatuers" do, and it is a fact, they cause MOST OF THE ACCIDENTS OUT HERE!!!
    I never even considered the angle fewer office staff will be required when we all go paperless. I wonder how many of those people will be out of a job! No problem though, we can teach them how to drive a truck in only 4 weeks!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    The major carriers don't even have to follow the rules . Money talks . I just wrote to my Congressman complaining of the Teamster's attempt to waste time of the FMCSA changing the rules again . The Senator pressuring for changes is Frank Lautenberg of NJ . Run a google on his connection with the Teamsters . The DOT OIG will put small companies out of business and prosecute their drivers and management . The megacarriers can push drivers until they have multiple fatalities like Crete did or be found to have documentation falsification like U.S. Xpress did in their 2006 audit and no management faces charges . When a company has $1 billion a year in revenue the fines are insignificant and aren't even a small fraction of the revenue the companies made running illegally .

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Didn't DHL drivers try that approach and end up without jobs ?
    Isn't it the Teamsters union that is pushing for the FMCSA to rewrite the HOS again ?

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Carriers don't need Mexicans . They have plenty of desperate trucking school graduates that will work cheaper .

6. rubbergearsnextyear

rubbergearsnextyear Heavy Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    The only documentation I could link it to would be a qualcomm load assignment/dispatch with the trip number. Does that count? As you know, this is how most companies identify a load and everything that goes with it in their system from origin and destination, to shipper/consignee to driver pay and in some cases, even what the cargo is. Some shippers even ask for the trip number in lieu of a "pickup number".

When they say document, it makes me think sheet of paper. I assumed though, apparently correctly, that the trip number (even though it's not a sheet of paper in my possesion) this is the way companies id loads, so IMO, it must count then, correct? Otherwise, it would seem that these companies would need to provide a designated line on the logs other than trip #, which is all my former company had on their logs in regards to "load document numbers".

So if I get DOT'd and everything's good with my HOS and logging in general, but there's no BOL number on the bill, BUT there is a trip number that the carrier uses to id loads, this fulfills the legal requirement?

Say an officer had a problem with that (qualcomm as documentation), could the qualcomm assignment, documenting a designated number for a specific load, i.e. shipper/consignee, does the qualcomm itself provide sufficient documentation to satisfy the legal requirements (along with the actual BOL to show shipper/consignee matches trip number)?

I know I probably sound stupid just want to be crystal clear on that, if that makes any sense whatsoever. If I don't have to write all the extra info on the logs, then why do so right if a Carrier's trip number is sufficient?

Thanks!

7. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    They are just as bad as the big companies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

8. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Worse! Big companies dont try to convince you they are your friend while they charge you for their "friendship"! We know what side the big companies are on, the teamsters??? Not so sure!!!

9. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    I want to point out some discrepancies as posted by our supposed LEO: This is on page 4 of this thread:

Originally Posted by Mike_MD

Quote:
    Originally Posted by truckerdave1970
    I think what we are really concerned about is the very real possibilty that a "good" driver can be mis-labeled as being "unfit" for merely making minor paperwork mistakes.

Reviewing the CSA2010 explanation having drugs in your possession is 10 points; whereas, form and manner violations are 2 points. Violating the 11/14 hour or 60/70 = 7 points and no log = 5 points. Based on the presentations I have attended the inspections stay on a driver's/carrier's record for three years. However, I've heard rumors of the duration for data being retained maybe shortened to ensure the permanent record reflects current inspection information.

Based on what I read here, if you are in violation of the 11/14 or 60/70 hour rules you would be better off claiming not to have a log at all since the former cost you 7 points & the latter only cost you 5 points?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Markk9
    Mike are you saying that even though you know the rules are messed up your still going to enforce them?

That sounds a lot like the German army after WWWII, I was just following the rules.

Mark
    As mentioned, I haven't written a ticket since 2007. My job is to investigate the violation and send the Notice of Warning for the violations discovered. It is the roadside officer's job to cite the driver/carrier for the violation/s.

I will wait until the final rule is published before I make any judgment on the ethics of the rule making.

But earlier in the same post you stated this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by roadkill439342
    No,
    Brickman, like many of us REAL drivers have experienced how you LEOs always twist the laws or invent NEW ones in your never-ending quest to separate us from our hard-earned (under)pay.
    Brickman, like many of us REAL drivers have experienced LEOs who are bent on writing tickets for anything.
    I find it amazing that drivers get bent out of shape when the 1% of bad drivers is used to measure all drivers; however, they automatically compare all LEO to the one they met that reportedly wrote them a ticket for doing nothing wrong.

I do 32 Level 1 inspections each year to remain qualified. I do driver credential checks at the rail yards each quarter which usually results in about 120 additional contacts each year. I have not written a ticket since about October 1999 when I worked for the State of Colorado. I can honestly say I've never written a ticket a driver didn't earn.

So tell me officer which one is it, better make it sound good or I am going to have to cite you for some serious information violations which could very well add up to enough points on your record so as to prevent you from ever harassing another CMV operator again, thus forcing you to find another line of work in order to feed your family!!!

How is the Walmart greeter job looking to you at this point?

I rest my case, court adjourned!!!

SOLO

10. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

The teamsters will never be a fix all utopia!

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Solo seems to have a reading comprehension problem .

What are you getting at Solo ? Mike said he did inspections to remain qualified . Did he say he wrote tickets during those inspections ? He mentioned warnings which are not tickets .
    Your case is thrown out on appeal .

Mike_MD and kickin chicken Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.