Cumming ntc400 big cam. Need help!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Nestor, May 2, 2016.

1. Nestor

Nestor Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2015
    i have an older truck that just started burning 2.5 gallons of oil every 2 days. This just started happening from one week to another. I have a Cummings big cam ntc400. I have no external leaks. Does any one know what can I check before taking it to a mechanic ? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nestor

Nestor Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Thanks man. Also it's a big smoker in the am when I start it up. Lots of white smoke. I heard it was normal for these engines .

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  4. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    2 + gallons in that time frame is a LOT!

Any other symptoms - how is the power?

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Pull the turbo outlet pipe off and check for the turbo passing oil into the exhaust or intake.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    2nd the turbo. Unlikely possibility but drain all your air tanks. Sometimes air compressor when worn out/failing will push oil into your air system.

Haven't seen this very often in large diesels but often in very small industrial diesels with low load/high idle time. Valves would carbon up and eventually pop valve seals off the head. Only way to check for that possibility is to pull turbo and look for oil in the intake manifold. Again that is fairly unlikely. Stick to the easy stuff first.

White smoke on a cold start is fairly normal for a mechanical diesel. A lot of it has to do with injection pump timing.

7. Nestor

Nestor Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2015
    No loss of power that I noticed. Truck runs good. Only smokes during warm up. When I'm on the road I don't really notice lots of smoke . Before this I was burning a gallon every coulple weeks .

8. Nestor

Nestor Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2015
    So make sure there no oil anywhere in the turbo right ?

9. Nestor

Nestor Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Thanks man I will try this as well . Worst case would be something internal huh

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I just looked at my first post. It should say exhaust manifold not intake. Been a long day lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.