cummins N14 redhead with low oil preasure

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by salidaco, May 16, 2012.

1. timc1134

timc1134 Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2012
    South east, Idaho
    970k sorry missed it rods and main bearings should be done every 500k so it's time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 67chevelle

67chevelle Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2015
    I am having this same promblem, didn't start until I took my powers teeming pump off and but a gasket on it, drove 150 miles sitting idle and oil pressure dropped to 8psi. Litr came on changed oil, and filter picked back up dove 125Iles sitting at stop light and pressure dropped again and light came on keep pressure up as long as rpms are up, does this seems like oil pump. In distress

4. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    The first thing I would check on N-14 is piston oilers. Usually when one is broken internally it will leak a little on the outside but not always. Then if it does not have a broke piston oiler I would hook up a manual gauge and verify the reading. It could be a faulty sensor. Use geniuine Cummins if the sensor is bad. If the piston oilers, sensor is good then you need to drop pan and check rod and mains.

67chevelle and BoxCarKidd Thank this.
  5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I would go with the funny guy. Did the N14 have a steel tube between the pan and pump like a big cam 3 or 4? Those can suck air at the ends or quad ring.

6. Smellfunny

Smellfunny Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    South Carolina
    That is another thing like Box said. Sometimes the orings on pickup tube as well. It is on drivers side right below pump. You may have hit it and moved it. If the orings were bad it could have broken remaining seal. image.jpeg

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Had this exact same problem with my 2000 Volvo
    After changing multiple parts it ended up being a loose wire on the circuit board behind the Dash.
    Once that was repaired everything went back to normal

8. 67chevelle

67chevelle Bobtail Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Thanks all u guys had a broke oiler and the small line that came from oil pump to side of block was collapsed and suckling air where old piece of gasket was left

Smellfunny and MJ1657 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.