Cummins really that bad?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Dave_in_AZ, May 2, 2016.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    There is a $28,000 price difference for a new Freighty with a Cummins, apposed to a Detroit. And the Cummins is 500HP !!!
    Exact same truck except the power plant, and the Def system and EGR that go with the Cummins.
    Are they really that unreliable, and problematic?
    The only Cummins I drove was '05, but it pulled like 19 mofo's.
    $28K is a lot. I mean that has to be a lot of built in factory hassle.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    every one I've known about had the manifold bolts go at about 600k and the turbo at 6-700k. Egr goes about every 150-200k. do a search

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Search "class action lawsuit Cummins" either on this forum or Google.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. wstar2003

wstar2003 Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2013
    That's their way of gently steering you towards a Detroit using pricing incentives. Keeps all the raw material profit in the family that way. I knew this is how it would be when truck manufacturers started branching out into drivetrains and suspensions and things. More or less forcing you into their components by making everything else unaffordable. Just a backhanded legal way of cornering the market.

6. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    That doesn't steer me towards a DD. $28K is a lot of cabbage. I think its an ISX15 too, I thought they were supposed to be better. I've heard all the problems with EGR, even first hand, dude I was talking too that was a mover, bought used '12 Pete, put $10K in EGR & DPF filter in it in under 1000 miles, he said it had 425K when he bought it from RUSH.
    Just wondering if there were any success stories lol.

7. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I'm kinda slow , the isx is 26k more correct..?

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Cheaper. $28K

Cat sdp Thanks this.
  9. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I personally think the Cummins is better. Way easier to drive, more usable power band, easier on the transmission. The DD has a low rpm surge to it, slow reving, slow shifting. I generally have to slow my shifting down when going from a Cummins to DD.

The fuel consumption thing is just a BS advertising myth. Pull the same weight and same trailer they get the same milage.

The ISX has been out longer so their is more issues with it recorded. It has had camshaft and rocker arm problems but considering how much longer it has been out you should expect more engines with more problems.

10. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    That got me to thinking about when I bought my Volvo. The mechanics were saying the D13's had the least issues of all the engines they see. That particular place had about 8 trucks in the shop with engines torn apart. Seven of them were red, and due said 4 of them needed camshafts, all Pete's.

I'm just going wow though. $28K on a brand new truck / engine. I mean I just don't think I could do $28K worth of abuse to it. That's why I'm asking are they really that bad.

11. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    $28k buys a lot of camshafts and rocker arms. And for $28k I would much rather driver the ISX then the DD to the point when I had to change cams.

I realize that Freightliner was asking a premium for the DD but I never realized that much!

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.