Cummins Vs. Detroit Series 60 Comparison

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by hines05, Nov 7, 2008.

1. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    My dad had a 3408 with turned up pump, thing went a million without issues, its all in the pick of the crop i guess.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    I was refering to key off power. Of course they require power when you're starting and running...thats Key-on.

4. Coyner

Coyner Bobtail Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Gladstone, Michigan
    Well, 3408 is my favorite engine, but I like the 3406C better than the B. It's more well put together than the B and much stronger.

5. brent440

brent440 Bobtail Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Fargo, ND
    I work at a truck dealership and I've seen 60 series with foot size holes in the side of the block, but have also seen at least one 60 in the 1.3m plus mile range never opened so I'd have to say they are good and maybe the blown up ones were due to operater with no thoughts of oil, and bearings and stuff like that, you know.

Still, since I end up doing business with most other truck shops in my region of the upper midwest, I always ask the most elementary questions and most mechanics would rather deal with an N14 than most other mills, so it gets my vote. But I'm not a fair judge since I own two dodge 12v diesels,.. But other engines that seem liked, are the C12, the 60 and other detroits, some DT Internationals and although the L10 and N14 seem to get votes, some don't like the M11 but others say it was overloaded for its size. My brother has a C15 twin turbo, supposedly it's a fuel pig but pretty popular among some who have experienced it at work. Seems like I should stay away from some ISX's, they had several versions with one or two cams, not sure which is better...

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  6. NSBGearjammer

NSBGearjammer Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Sunshine State
    1,000,000 Screamin' Series 60 Double D's worldwide can't be wrong. I can't speak for logging or OTR. But in the fire service(extremely demanding on diesels w/ little/no warmup, long idle times and hard accelerating/decelerating not to mention lots of non-CDL drivers w/ marginal engine management/maintenance training), I can say the engine of choice for years has been 60s.
    My 2€.

The_Great_Corn Thanks this.
  7. Dino1968

Dino1968 Light Load Member

Hard to beat a 3406B ATAAC for a mechanical engine, great sound,stump pullin' power, and very good runner. If you know how to mess with the fuel pump, those engines coupled with a 13 speed and about 3.90 rears will do what you need for offroad. ECM enginewise,I've heerd too many people have problems with those yellow boat anchors called 3406C. Course by now they've surely got all the bugs worked out of them !!! Wasn't that like an early to mid 90's engine ?

8. mechanicallmake

mechanicallmake Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2011
    georgetown,ky
    I see 2010 and newer DD15's get 8 to 8.5 all the time

NI39601 Thanks this.
  9. mechanicallmake

Nov 6, 2011
    georgetown,ky
    If you go detroit, keep it pre 2002. Unless of course you can get your hands on a DD15

10. mechanicallmake

Nov 6, 2011
    georgetown,ky
    You will have to go 2002 or older for pre emission detroit. The ddec v egr from 02 to 06 was a disaster

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.