curious about bottom hoppers

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by truckerty, Jun 10, 2015.

1. truckerty

truckerty Bobtail Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Does anyone know where in florida that has bottom hopper jobs. I never did the job but I am considering trying it out, I have talked to some drivers and they are loving it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 379exhd

379exhd Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Bulk loads would probably be the place to go when looking for a gig pulling a grain buggy. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head in Florida. GA and the Carolinas yes but not that far south

truckerty Thanks this.
  4. ira1377

ira1377 Light Load Member

May 10, 2011
    Bradenton, Fl
    Shwend Dade City, Fl

truckerty Thanks this.
  5. 315wheelbase

315wheelbase Heavy Load Member

Oct 26, 2014
    they are called hopper bottoms,,call skyview farms out of Nebraska,,they run florida,,they got a lot of nice trucks

6. ira1377

ira1377 Light Load Member

May 10, 2011
    Bradenton, Fl

7. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    Skyview is both the last I knew but predominantly owner operators. They're not the greatest place to start your career been a while since I talked to one of their drivers but pay wasn't very good and things were pretty shady. They've been sued a couple different times verifiable via google. There's a couple old threads on here but nothing recent. There's a guy in DeWitt NE with a W9 and a Skyview wagon seems like the truck sits more than it runs. If you want to run for a nebraska carrier and pull a grain buggy Chicoda is the place to call. You'll run your nuts off on the east coast but you'll get a check every week and the money is good. I know Steve personally along with Marsha and Shane all of them are good people I can't complain about any of them. If you don't mind staying out and running east that's probably the best hopper outfit I've seen. There's couple others but work is seasonal 45 days a year is all you get but it's nothing to bring home 1200 a day for 45 days during harvest.

Hoppers are easy work it's just getting in a lane where the market is better. Midwest lanes aren't great and you're either going to run heavy on a tandem hopper or you're going to need a spread or tri axle to be competitive because they've beat the rates down so far...and then the brokers come in and it gets even worse they've cut the rates immensely...NCI is a big one there be lucky to pull 1.60 a loaded mile out of those morons. Average rate is about .98 a running mile and the elevators aren't paying much better to be honest.

Meat and bone, DDG, bean meal, etc is all still paying up there and a guy can make a living hauling it, but grain has been a lot worse and with the way harvest is looking for a lot of the Midwest it's going to be a slow year. I had planned on running grain this winter kinda debating weather there's even going to be enough work to justify it.

8. Arkansas

Arkansas Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    LA- Lower Arkansas
    Walpole is out of Florida. I'm pretty sure they pull hoppers.

Lyle H Thanks this.
  9. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
  10. 379exhd

Jun 25, 2012
    rolling through hell
    I can speak from first hand experience that it isn't no ####. You're expected to run, and you're expected to take care of his truck like it's you're own. I know Steve personally spoke to him many times used to talk to him every week when I'd pick up my dad's check.

$1500.00 a week as a company driver is doable there and his fleet last I knew wasn't governed unless you couldn't keep your foot out of it. He runs a fleet of hoppers and has I believe 2 dedicated trucks in Texas pulling a tank. I won't discuss revenue out of respect for Steve and his wishes but you can make some good money there.

Like all hopper work it pays by the ton most of the time unless something gets flat rated which is occasional even with only 48000 in the wagon PA did alright. Having a lighter truck he would have added probably 600 to 1200 to his check every week give or take.

I don't know that Steve drives anymore I don't think he does but he is a small company if o remember right he has I believe 5 or 7 company trucks may be a few more may be a few less and the rest are owner operators.

I've been impressed with Steve he pulls good rates and is one of the few owners that doesn't care what hour it is he wants to know where his trucks are and if there's a problem he wants to know even if it's 2 am and he's fast asleep.

Steve is stern when he needs to be he will flat tell you he is not a bank but he has helped me with business over the years. He also bailed my dad out when he cut down a set of tires right after my tractor went down for some major work. All and all if he didn't run east so much I wouldn't have a problem running for chicoda but I'm not an east coast person and never will be.

I will back Steve and have before he's an amazing owner as far as I'm concerned I've never had a problem with him and doubt I ever will. He is honest and will tell you that he runs the east coast and the ad isn't b.s. either that's what he expects and wants. You'll be expected to run and you'll be compensated accordingly.

His dispatchers are skilled and they know they're stuff. Marsha is a wonderful lady Shane is a great man and very helpful as well. As a matter of fact we broke an s cam bracket on dad's truck one day at about 6 at night we ran the truck over to his dad's house and his dad welded the s cam bracket good as new to get my dad running till the replacement came in or we could get it fixed on the road. Was it legal god only knows but it was better and safer than it was previously.

They're great people I've worked for a few companies pulling a hopper and it'd be the best outfit I've seen. Beats the hell out of H&M, M&M MIDWEST, SKYVIEW, SKYWAY, CONESTOGA, NSG, NCI etc. They're a good company I have no complaints. If anybody would like first hand info they can p.m. me I'm sure my dad would talk to you about his time at chicoda.

pusherman and Army91W Thank this.
  11. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    If you see Marvin "sitting" , tell him I said hi.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.