curious about line haul division

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by lonelyguy, Oct 26, 2015.

1. lonelyguy

lonelyguy Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2014
    could someone tell me if line haul is pretty much set up like ESTES, or Old Dominion? go terminal to terminal, stay in hotel every night.....out for a week, home for 34? Got a friend that drives local for them, didn't know anything about the line haul division. Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lots of character

lots of character Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Well I promise you'll stay lonely.

sam_j Thanks this.
  4. TRUCKEE411

TRUCKEE411 Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Most LTL companies like Estes old dominion SAIA etc Linehaul division is set up similar.. but be ready to work the dock at Conway. You have to load your own trailers at some locations...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  5. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky
    ^
    Aye yi yi...

Really?
    Seriously guy?

Read your signs!!!!

;)

6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    No staying in Hotels and not out for a week you will be home daily... terminal to terminal yes... Being new the majority of your night will be spent working on the dock, not much driving... What Terminal are you looking to work at?

7. lonelyguy

Oct 8, 2014
    well if it's more 'Combo' work.....I'm not interested....thanks for the insight. I know OD,ESTES,YRC, ETC if you have experience you shouldn't have to work the docks....unless you want to do the 'combo' deal.

8. Woodys

Woodys Heavy Load Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    Uhhh, past experience doesn't really carry any weight with freight companies. If you don't want to work the dock, you have to find one of the freight companies that doesn't require drivers to work the dock. All runs are taken based on seniority with the company, not how much driving experience you have. There are a LOT of factors that play into what type of run you might get as a new hire ....

This is the best way I can sum it up from what I've seen. If you are a new hire for a freight company that does not work the dock, you will probably be required to work as a "wild" driver. Which means you will not have any dedicated run and will go wherever their leftover freight calls for. It also means you will probably be stuck in a hotel at least 2 days a week. If you work with a company who requires drivers to work the dock, you will generally get the shortest driving time (2-3h round trip) and work the rest of your 12-14 hour shift doing dock work or hustling trailers.

You can find a lot about linehaul if you visit the LTL/Local forum.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    lonelyguy Thanks this.
  9. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Its Combo work for sure

10. lonelyguy

Oct 8, 2014
    ok....gonna look at that....thanks!

11. TRUCKEE411

TRUCKEE411 Light Load Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I know for sure SAIA and Estes don't make you work the dock.. if they hire you as a driver, Your a driver... Conway is hard core dock work but you will make money there

lonelyguy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.