D.O.T. vs "local police"

Discussion in 'Trucker Legal Advice' started by adrian graystone, Jun 11, 2015.

1. adrian graystone

adrian graystone Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2015
    There is a difference when it comes to law enforcement and the department of transportation. So without putting all the pieces of the puzzle together for you I think I will lead you to the resource of my concern. First I was arrested in October of 2014 for by passing a scale; this was not a legal scale house it was a rest area turned into a scale house , with a lot of police cars with officers riding around with guns claiming to be the D.O.T.. Anyway the officer charges me with drugs and alcohol and paraphenalia. I am looking to go to court but instead was released from jail ; being told I was being released from jail and there was no further action being taken . Following the termination from the carrier I was working for ; I was hired by carroll fulmer logistics. In march of 2015 I applied to Reddy trucking in Conley , Georgia. expecting to be hired only to be told my cdl a was suspended. After research the issue is ; which is why I am having so many issues. Again I'll say the arrest and all charges from the flagstaff incident has been concluded. I have documents and proof from the court system. All I have asked Arizona to assist my with is contacting Georgia and provide proof or documentation stating that the charges have been dropped and they can unsuspend my cdl a. I have tried speaking with the cdl office in goodyear and in mesa, Arizona and there seems to be misunderstanding when the D.O.T. SHOULD BE INVOLVED RATHER THAN THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES , ESPECIALLY WHEN THE LOCAL AUTHORITIES ARE NOT TRAINED IN PROCEDURES OF THE D.O.T.. For example level 1,2, and 3 inspections held at port of entries or valid scale houses or weigh stations: Probably will not be conducted on the side of the road.? So I am explaining to the dept. of. transportation that the federal motor carrier safety administration's manual or pocket manual clearly states that unless the driver regardless of the charges ; unless the driver is found guilty or pleads guilty; is there ground for convictions. Without a conviction of guilt there cannot be any sanctions or sentencing. The motor vehicle division of Arizona is saying that; I refused to submit to a drug test( in the law enforcements terminology : IMPLIED CONSENT) , that regardless of conviction or nonconviction , that the state of Arizona can suspend the drivers' license for up to a year without court documentation or a criminal conviction. This IA case has been closed on this charge. So why is it forbidden for arizonas' commercial driving outfit ; to easily correct this error in processing. I have been out of the truck for 3 months now and I need to lift this suspension before every carriers focus will be to ; reject all of the cdl holders that have not been in the drivers seat for a couple of "days" to now make it extremely hard to find employment because this guy wants to attempt to make all of the drivers lifes: involved at this point miserable. by setting these standards too low or too high. My concern at this point is : How do I address this and whom should I direct the focus to , in order to get the best conclusion: which is getting my CDL A suspension lifted.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

We use the term"DOT" loosely to mean any state law enforcement officer trained and empowered to enforce commercial vehicle regulations, all of which have been codified into each state's own laws. Rarely will you or any driver ever come in contact with the 'real' USDOT officers, though they're out there, too.

As for your condition, get a lawyer familiar with trucking laws. It's the only chance you have,mid you even have a chance. Open the checkbook and pay. Your CDL is worth it.

4. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

PS. I have some (not-so-good) experience in this area. Citations against a CDL issued in one state are also sent to your home state, which will also take their own action. They are the ones who will suspend or revoke your privileges.

It's a serious matter, fair or unfair, and the only - the only - way to survive is through competent legal assistance. I didn't and paid the price. Do not make that mistake. I got hammered by one state and paid a fine. I then also got busted by my home state and paid a major fine plus had my CDL suspended for 12 months.

HopeOverMope and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  5. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    First of all, you make several incorrect assumptions, the first being that the rest area inspection point is not a legal scale house. In most states, Arizona included, law enforcement can and will set up portable inspection sites or even do inspections on the shoulder of the road as part of a traffic stop. All of this is perfectly legal, although some states do not allow ransom roadside inspections you must first be pulled over for a moving violation, these are the states that usually will pull over a truck for 1 mph over the posted limit. Your second incorrect assumptions is that local police are not trained or qualified to do trucking enforcement, only the DOT is. Actually, most of the motor carrier enforcement officers you refer to as DOT are in fact state or local police, county sheriffs, or in some cases not even law enforcement officers per se, rather just state employees charged with the duty and power to enforce trucking regulations. The third incorrect assumption is that only DOT officers could request a drug test, again any law enforcement official, with probable cause, can request a sobriety check, the fact you were driving a commercial vehicle has no bearing on the implied consent law in any state, including Arizona.

Regardless of the orginal charges being dismissed, your failure to comply with the officers request to submit to a drug or alcohol test is an automatic suspension of your driver license, equivalent to a dui conviction. Honestly, you should have stopped at the rest area inspection site instead of bypassing it, you are at fault here regardless of your belief that it was not a "legal" scale house. Secondly, you should not have been operating a commercial motor vehicle with drug equipment and/or alcohol on board, and quite frankly you deserve to have a lifetime suspension of your driving privileges. Best advice to you is find a good lawyer and good luck finding a trucking company that will touch you when this is all over.

jbatmick, flood, NavigatorWife and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    Peru ILL they set up in the back part of the Sapp Bros truckstop
    just as legal as anywhere else

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  7. marmonman

marmonman Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2009
    central illinois
    Sounds to me like you need to learn the trucking rules and regulations . What you think has nothing to do with the law and the way it is enforced .

As for the charges dropped or not just how ...... Never mind it would just be a waste of time tying to explain it !

flood and KenworthGuyNH Thank this.
  8. adrian graystone

adrian graystone Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Well, being as though I have to follow these "rules and regulations" I guess my best option is to abide by all corrective actions and sanctioning , so I can get back on the road ASAP.

9. positiveone

positiveone Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2010
    North Augusta, SC
    Hmmmm....me personally, I don't think you should be getting back on the road ASAP....I am not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I just feel that if you have an alcohol and/or drug dependency, you have no business in this profession or on the highway system at all....I wish you the best but.....WRONG is WRONG

x1Heavy and flood Thank this.
  10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    As a Trooper I primarily only worked collisions and stopped cars. However I could actually make the same cases as DOT, DNR etc. when I chose.

SHO-TYME and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  11. 2Girls_1Truck

2Girls_1Truck Medium Load Member

May 18, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Not sure where this info regarding roadside inspections came from. Maine, New Hampshire, New York and New Jersey all stake out the toll booths and rest areas and randomly flag drivers for Level 1, 2 & 3 inspections on the spot. Ohio and Pennsylvania stake out the rest areas and commandeer every truck off the interstate into their little traps.

Georgia they've parked in a median watching the on ramps for unbuckled drivers or cell phone use and they pop that hood and check out your rig right on the shoulder in Atlanta.

I've been through many level 1 inspections and I've never even seen a U.S. DOT officer, always s commercial vehicle enforcement division of state troopers.

You might get further with this if you just admit that you screwed up and make the case that you need the license to be a tax paying productive member of society.

Where I live, refusing a breathalyzer is an automatic guilty plea to DUI. The difference, is that I have a few friends who admitted wrong, plead guilty and begged to keep their license intact successfully. Have yet to see anyone who came in blaming everyone but themselves work that magic.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.