d12 compression problem

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by summit shop, Apr 19, 2016.

1. summit shop

summit shop Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2016
    hey everyone. i rebuilt a 2002 volvo with a d12c engine last year. it started perfectly. ran smoother then any of our other fleets trucks. the truck originally cracked #3 piston liner, and #4 looked terrible. we have 10 used decent liners laying on the shelf. so i had swapped 2 used ones into 3 and 4.
    the head was rebuild by a known shop, most valves guides and seats were replaced. rod and crank bearings replaced. all new piston rings also. and any other gaskets or o-rings.

he finally took a week long trip. (previously no issues on local trips and 400 mi trips). but he came back misfiring and with white smoke. codes read 4th injector mechanical fault. and zero compression in cyl 4 and 75% in #5.

can an injector cause no compression? or does that sound more like a head gasket?

i havent done any other diagnosis yet other then the two tests. will be taking the valve cover off soon for a visual inspection, and also checking for fuel in the coolant and oil.

any other ideas?
    thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    If the copper injector cups were damaged then yes, you could lose all compression in a cylinder on the D12 from a bad injector. On my 2000 D12 I had a injector cup that was put in wrong after getting a six pack of injectors installed, once it got under load and up to temperature it would let the cylinder compression out into the water jacket, blowing coolant out the overflow just like I had a bad head gasket or was severely overheating. Changed the cups a second time and all has been well for the last 100,000 miles. The white smoke could also indicate a bad head gasket or injector seat that is letting coolant into the combustion chamber.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    yes a bad injector or injector cup can cause loss of compression
    white smoke sound like head gasket

5. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    White smoke is usually caused by a bad valve either a bad cup, maybe injector but remove injector and take a rubber tip and put air in the piston and check if you have any major leaks, maybe a bad valve or a broken ring. usually when mechanical fault comes up it is a good possibility that there is something going on on the lower side of the engine. I've never once seen a volvo has a bad head gasket check if you have compression in the coolant.

6. summit shop

Apr 19, 2016
    well no coolant leaked out while driving, i can somewhat assume coolant didnt get cylinder pressure.

ill be taking stuff apart today

7. summit shop

Apr 19, 2016
    another thing. it runs smooth for the first 30 seconds of startup. even at 160* coolant temp after sitting for an hour

8. summit shop

Apr 19, 2016
    i ran another compression test. #4 now has 93%. #5 still at 70%.

started the truck, it ran good for 1 minute, until i hit the throttle. instantly started missing and smoking. definitely confused. ran it without a valve cover. everything looks good.

9. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Swap Injectors Between 1 and 5 and See what happens with compression or put new Injector in and Test it out

10. summit shop

Apr 19, 2016
    just took rockers off. looks like piston wont go all the way back in on exhaust rocker #4. gonna swap it out and pull the injector to check it too.

11. summit shop

Apr 19, 2016
    well fixed the rocker piston. it started to unthread internally. #4 cyl is now good. and 5 still low compressionafter swapping injectors. just gonna put it together for now

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.