DASH CAM: Assist or not in police highway pursuit?

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by rte66trucker, Jan 8, 2016.

1. shanman

shanman Medium Load Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Silverton, OR
    I don't think this. You pay for full coverage which includes collision, and comprehensive coverage. Meaning you can run your truck into a wall on purpose and the insurance company will pay. I got into a fight with my insurance once that refused to pay for a totaled vehicle because it was my fault. Well I not so kindly reminded them I have full coverage that covers anything. I had a check a week later.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    You have all made good arguments against helping, but I don't think I could resist putting a felon into the wall when asked.

4. hipshot

hipshot Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2014
    ocala,fl
    As a former cop.....we/they would prefer eveyone stay clear....we/they train constantly for events like this....secondly they know all of the particular "inside imformation"of the "chase".....resist the urge to get swept up in the moment......there are way too many legal ramifications involved and at play for the untrained citizen to get involved in......you drive ur truck and they will drive theirs....IMPO.

TheDude1969 Thanks this.
  5. Dye Guardian

Dye Guardian Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2015
    North
    I remember seeing a video taken from an overhead helicopter during a police chase. A truck driver swung his tractor to the left at the last second attempting to close the gap between his truck and the vehicle one lane over. Well, the vehicle being chased managed to get past before the gap closed completely and the truck was stopped blocking the way for the police cruisers following behind. The truck may have come into contact with something as well, but I don't quite recall.

Tried to do good, but it backfired horribly.

6. wndrwtr

wndrwtr Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Texas
    This is the problem with "today's world"..all you ever hear is: "it's not my problem." Almost no one is willing to take a stand for what is "the right thing to do, for fear of litigation." Instead, society "teaches" us to stand around with our thumbs up our butts and let the "people that know what's best" to handle it while someone's life might be on the line if we fail to act.
    A few years ago, a woman at the entrance to a Pilot truck stop was asking for a ride west. It struck me kind of strange that a woman that looked in her mid to late 50's would be asking for a ride. Contacted local police and hung around talking to her till they showed up. Turns out she was an Alzheimer's patient from a nursing home that had been missing for two day's.
    Myself, I WILL ALWAYS come to the aid of ANYONE I see that needs help which includes the LEO's. Take a stand folks. Get involved!!!!

7. hipshot

hipshot Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2014
    ocala,fl
    T here is a great difference between the example you discribed and the cruxt of the post.....which was getting involved in a police chase by using your truck to block or whatever.......in your example.....your correct we all should "get involved".....

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I'd just hold my lane position and stay at the speed limit. If the suspect hits me, its on him.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.