Dash Cams: Good idea or Not

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by DLKeur, Feb 19, 2014.

1. DLKeur

DLKeur Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2014
    The Purcell Trench, N. ID
    All I can say is, thank you. (And I completely identify with your quote.)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigwallmike

bigwallmike Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Kingman,AZ.
    I just want to say "Thanks" to the OP & everyone who posted on this thread. I'm definitely sold!

DLKeur Thanks this.
  4. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    Been using a dash cam for about 6 months now and wouldn't dream of driving without one. As far as I'm concerned it's the most important purchase a driver can make. I can't think of any downside to them. I shudder to think of the time I was driving without one.

DLKeur Thanks this.
  5. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    I got interrupted posting that, I wanted to include I like your setup. I don't mean to bust your huevos, but a little more less velocity never fails to produce more following distance.

TomOfTx Thanks this.
  6. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    Dude. Why did you not get away from this woman at your first opportunity? And I'd bet a dollar she's probably thinking you're ##### with her. "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." It is better to not think of fellow roadway users as competition/adversaries. It's the wrong attitude. They're amateurs, you're a professional.

(Notice how those red lights change to green right after you stop for them? Did you ever notice that that is often the case for motorists? I'm seeing you continue to accelerate toward lights that are still red after it is certain you're going to soon have to be braking. You could better manage your fuel/momentum.)

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  7. Drivers girl

Drivers girl Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Ky
    My bf has a company installed cam and it's proved useful on a few occasions. One instance was when a woman lost control of her car and swerved in front of him and ended up hitting the median wall. The cam showed his safety dept the reason for his hard breaking and showed the police part of what happened with her. Another one was one night while he was parked outside his receiver. A building about 1/2 a blk away from him was broken into. The police woke my bf up asking if he saw anything. They then asked about his dash cam. He gave them the info to contact his company to get any possible footage. So it's possible his cam could've caught the guys responsible.

DLKeur Thanks this.
  8. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    Yep....you are soooo right Frank..remember the lines of pay phones in the old fuel stops....shoot...I'd wager the Petro's in Wetherford and El Paso had a couple hundred of them between the fuel desks and the restaurant. If the truckers of today could only have been around 40 years ago....they'd understand just how spoiled we've become. I remember the old hands telling me the same thing though....just how it was for "them" in the 30's & 40's & 50's.....funny how people never really change....just get MORE spoiled.

gpsman and DLKeur Thank this.
  9. gpsman

gpsman Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2013
    45212/59759
    Yep. We used to have to drag laptops in to connect via 3rd parties at 2400 baud. One FJ waitress went nuts when I removed the booth phone from the wall to plug in, thought I was trying to steal it. Half the staff ended up coming by to gaze in wide wonder at that intertube thingy. They thought I was some sort of tech god.

DLKeur Thanks this.
  10. DLKeur

DLKeur Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2014
    The Purcell Trench, N. ID
    I bet you have a cell phone. (sung to a tisket a tasket...) :biggrin_25525:

And I remember the old hands telling me how they used to roll the snow on the roads with teams of drought (draft) horses. :biggrin_25517: (And they did.)

gpsman and Tonythetruckerdude Thank this.
  11. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Tony, a cell phone?? No way! That might scare away the deer and Turkey! :D

DLKeur Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.