Dash cams. What are you using?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Colorato, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Nexwinner

Nexwinner Light Load Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Greenville, WV
    I have a friend using this one and from what he says, pretty nice. I am gonna get this one as well. here is the link http://www.blackvue.ca/

I hope this didn't sound like an ad, just my opinion based on what I have heard and seen.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    barbwire625, Skydivedavec and Colorato Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tnronin

Tnronin Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm going to go the gopro 3 route because it can be set to loop record. I'm going to use it for scuba AND dash work. Double duty baby!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skydivedavec Thanks this.
  4. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    There are several levels of "darkness" when it comes to rig-mounted cameras. The camera's ability to to record in different levels of light is measured in "lux." The lower the lux value, the better it can see night images.

Cameras that mount in a windshield (as opposed to outside) have an even bigger set of challenges. The things that affect a camera's ability to record at night are:
    • The internal video chipset
    • The lens
    • The image sensor
    • The ambient light in the TRUCK near the camera (the brighter it is inside the truck, the more it can mess with the light sensor on the camera, and therefore produce lower recording at that road area in front of the truck.)
    • How much light is in the "outside world" in front of the truck. This has to do with how good your headlights are and how much is coming from streetlights or moonlight.

There are generally two types of image sensors: CMOS and CCD. The CMOS type can be made smaller and cheaper so it is the most common (by far) image sensor found in mini-cams, windshield cams, license plate cams, etc. CMOS, however, generally will be grainier in low light and generally have less ability to see as far in low light. CMOS is also what you will find in that laptop or desktop cam in most cases also. CCD is more expensive to produce and usually will be in a larger physical package. For instance, you can now buy spy cameras that literally fit on the front face of a pen in your shirt pocket. Those will be CMOS. BUT, remember that there are vastly different qualities on CMOS and CCD. In other words, you can get a very high-end CMOS camera that out-performs a lower-end CCD camera.

So when a driver says they want to "record at night" the question becomes, how do you define "night?" PITCH BLACK, or LOW light - like headlights off but in a truck stop parking lot, or well-lit - like very good headlights and / or in the city with street lamps on the roads?

Most dash cams will record in well-lit night scenes. Some will record well enough to see something hit you in some light (like your headlights on or in a truck stop) and NONE that I know of will see more than a few feet onto the hood in near total darkness. There is a common gimmick feature that is on dash cameras - the famous Infrared Emitters This allows for a common marketing language that you see like "night vision I/R!" or ".1 lux with emitters on!" but it has two problems that make those no more than a sales tactic. One (1) you need a BUNCH of I/R emitters to see more than say 5 feet in near-darkness. How far out in front of your rig will that be useful for? I have experimented, and once you get to 8 emitters you can see about 25 feet, 18 emitters to 60 or 70 feet, and 24 emitters to about 90 feet in TOTAL darkness. So unless they start stuffing a whole LOT more emitters on the front of these dash cameras, they don't see very far under their own light. And two (2) - most truck windshields are nearly vertical in their angle (much more so that a car for instance.) At night, the IR's come on and bounce back off the windshield at the recording lens and your video looks like someone is shining a flashlight back at you. I got totally away from the "emitters" in a windshield cam and instead have continued to seek out better internal chipset and low lux capabilities. It is a difficult thing to do though and still keep it under 100 bucks.

The general statement with everything in the world holds true with the night-recording or the overall resolution and quality of the video - cost verses capabilities. Although someone will now undoubtedly find a $30 dash cam that has killer night time low lux and HD resolutions to read license plates with ease and throw it at me...
    GoPro is doing a great job of using high-end Ambarella chipsets in their cameras because they have the buying power to regulate the actual manufacture of the camera to their specifications. This chipset gives you those HD (1080p and higher) resolutions in their sports-oriented products. And the price will match that technology at $200 - $400 depending on model. Conversely when you see one on Amazon or elsewhere for $35 it's going to be using the "STK" chipset inside. The price is right, but not the night, Lol.

Unfortunately I see a lot of price variation on the same cameras popping up all over. There is one that is very common one that I have tested at length that is on sites ranging anywhere from $40 to $199 and it is the same camera. And if you were to ask the seller, most do not even know what chipset is inside.

I know, I know, rambling again. But for those who wanted the more technical answer, that it is.

5. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    They all loop. However, for underwater, you got your eye on the right one!

6. Nexwinner

Jan 21, 2013
    Greenville, WV
    Hey Dieselboss, have a question. What is the physical size of your outside cameras for your system? I looked all over your page and the details but did not see actual measurements. Also, can you spec in a Solid State Drive, like a 256gb. I know it would be less susceptible to shock/jarring/movement and so forth.

7. Colorato

Colorato Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lengthy yes but informative and appreciated.

I know a few people who have GoPro cameras. They use them for multiple things. I have seen the video they take and agree its really good. While I fully understand the importance of one I'm having a difficult time justifying a 200-300 camera that will just be in the truck.

What I'm looking for mostly is the insurance you get from having a good camera in a he said she said situation. The truck goes home with me every morning so I don't have the worries of the truck stop bump and run while I'm sleeping.

Night time for me is good headlights, a mix of city, country and state roads that are semi lit.

8. Yellow-Gatorade

Yellow-Gatorade Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Hate to say it but the "top dawg" car cam is avail for $17-24 on ebay. 720p @ 30fps I believe. The T/a in Strafford sells a dashcam for $99-120.00 (I cant remember exactly) It is 1080p and avail on ebay for $40-50.00. Really pays to shop around. P.s. The night vision does not work well, I think the I.R. bounces off the windshield (I could be wrong)

9. Tnronin

Tnronin Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2012
    The gopro 3 allows you to set a recording loop time, i.e. 5 mins etc. that is what I'm referring to. If the original, or 2 did that I would have bought one sooner. I need to save up and be patient right now, I'm still in training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Dieselboss

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Web page info needs to be updated. The new DVR can go up to 2 Tb hard drive size and also use SSD drives. SSD's are much more expensive than non, but we've got that now worked that out in the new model. Sizes for SSD's are typically 120 gb, 240gb, 480gb. But by the time you get to 480gb SSD size, remember that the hard drive costs nearly as much as the entire rest of the system.

Physical size of the outside camera body itself is 2" x 3". It comes in 420 Tv Lines and 540 Tv lines flavors. Sharp CCD lens. 18 I/R beams. See picture.

outside2_18_ir_501.jpg

The_Judge Thanks this.
  11. Nexwinner

Jan 21, 2013
    Greenville, WV
    @Dieselboss; thanks for the info. Will be thinking about your system and yes, A SSD might be more expensive but oh so worth it. You camera is a very nice size by the way and 18 I/R should illuminate for a good distance. Again, thanks!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.