Dash cams. What are you using?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Colorato, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Krashdragon

Krashdragon Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Cleburne, Tx
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Newest...-Camera-DVR-Rotable-270-Monitor-/310585954574

Upgraded model from the one my b.f. got, uses it on his bike thru a windhsield. Video is ok, not great, I think he has a knockoff. He paid a whole $24 for it. The 207 ordered from a reputable dealer should be fine for insurance. And you can buy a 32G card for less than the camera sellers want. But get a class 10 card, it'll run smoother. There's a couple decent sellers on ebay, you can also check a couple of forums. Just google DVR207, lots of info.

Now if I was still living in Hawaii, I'd get the Black Hero...<G> Way better resolution, but DFW area just doesn't compare scenery wise...<G>
    Have fun and hopefully you won't need the video. It is kinda fun to watch the Russians, etc driving tho. Just glad I'm not there!
    Mary

It does interfere with the GPS tho. He moved the GPS and camera a little over a foot from ea other. Seems to work fine now.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Colorato

Colorato Road Train Member

Feb 22, 2011
    What's happening? Are you hearing a hum or electrical feedback or loss of signal? If its a feedback you might try plugging it or the Sirius into another plug and see if it goes away.

At this point I'm looking at the DB4. Going to MATS on Fri-Sat and wanna check out blue tigers new one they are releasing there.

http://www.bluetigerusa.com/Articles.asp?ID=260

4. MysticTrucker

MysticTrucker Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Cottage Grove, MN
    Dieselboss, I am new at video. Will the file format upload to a Mac?

5. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Disclaimer - this applies specifically to my camera. There are many different video formats in the world and I cannot comment on specific other models that I have not tested.

The videos are saved in folders (i.e. Directories) on the card as .avi files. This is a universal video standard. I am assuming that you are referring to saving them or viewing them on a Mac.

You can drag videos, directories, or copy the entire SD card over to a hard drive (regardless of whether it is a Mac or a PC) just like you copy any other file. If your Mac has an SD card reader slot, then it's really simple. If not, then you can drag them across using a USB wire.

As far as viewing it, there are dozens of video viewers out there as well. Here is a great article on viewing videos with Mac - http://guides.macrumors.com/Watch_AVI_Movies_in_Mac_OS_X
    I HIGHLY recommend the free VLC player for Mac or PC actually for all videos. It's just a superior player (found at: http://www.videolan.org/)

If you have a road accident or a road fraud attempt done to you, then I recommend turning off the camera at the soonest opportunity and either switching out the card with another, or copying the incident video onto a flash stick or a computer before the card fills up and records back over your incident.

- Don

cetanediesel Thanks this.
  6. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    Thanks for the response, it's actually a lack of signal and it doesn't happen right away, over the course of several days it just gets weaker and weaker until there is no antenna signal at all. I have the power plugged into different ports and the receiver is nowhere near the camera, all I can think is that it's related the wires touching.

7. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest
    I only run Mac's and .avi files are no issue to play.
    I like the DVR that Don sells and likely will purchase it soon.
    I'm just looking at mounting options (and wiring) but dont want to leave any electronics in the rig permanently.
    The wiring stays but the devices come out at the end of the trip.

I'd like to find some way to secure this to the top inside area of the cab where the windshield ends and the headliner begins but nothing off hand has come to thought.

8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Don't know anything about these things. Just got one from

http://www.videodashcam.com/march-special/

Dieselboss has been full of cool info. This one does a 1/4 CMOS HD Sensor. Easy to set up. Took a look at some test videos from my pickup at night, and in most cases the image would be good enough for at least some evidence in the case of an accident. The daytime stuff is fine. Going into the sun was the only problem.

Will let you know how it works in my big truck...

9. Hanadarko

Hanadarko Independent Owner/Operator

Oct 1, 2009
    Midwest

I posted this a few spots above. Looking for feedback. I liked the built in screen and that you could shut off the mic
    so people dont hear you singing to yourself as you putz along the road.

Problem is I saw the exact same thing elsewhere for much cheaper - but I am not 100% sure it isnt a knock off.
    All of this chinese stuff and then you have the chinese copying the chinese!

So far, I like DieselBoss' unit. The price was better although the link above came with a more stout memory card.
    But that isn't a deal breaker.

The blue tiger unit also looks worthy of a 2nd look.

I need a way to mount mine instead of using the suction cup.
    I have a solid plastic upper area that looks like I could fasten a bracket to and hang the camera down from that...
    I think it will work rather nicely.

landstar8891 Thanks this.
  10. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    Why are you only getting to work at 08h29 ?

Hanadarko and cetanediesel Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.