Dashcam recommendations?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by true blue, Jan 29, 2016.

1. true blue

true blue Medium Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    Can anyone recommend a good, solid dashcam that can take up to a 64 gb sd card and record an incident when the truck is off and parked, as well as take pics and video of any incidents on the road? Has anyone also used a truck specific GPS/dashcam combo that they like? I know Garmin now has a 6" dezlcam LMHTD but I think it's too new for any reviews.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Garmin standalone dashcam do all that u mention. But if the truck is park, the camara won't go off until the accident is big enough to trigger thr sensor. A big SD card might hold the video until u get back.

Also if ur truck auto shut off 12v after a long period of time like my cascadia, it will stop giving power to it

Rocks and true blue Thank this.
  4. MidWest_MacDaddy

MidWest_MacDaddy Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    South Carolina
    I've been looking at that new smaller camera from GoPro... It's like an inch by an inch in size... And much cheaper than the normal sized GoPro cameras. Has its own battery to run without truck power and has an app to use with your smartphone with you want remote control and remote viewing (within a short distance that is). I have not gotten it, yet, so not sure I can recommend it officially, but I'm thinking that's the direction I am going to go. Unless something else catches my eye from threads like this one.

5. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I know one of the basic gopro doesn't have loop option, so it doesn't overwrite the videos. Eventually it will get full and then have to manual erase the card. Not sure which1

Rocks Thanks this.
  6. KoonTrucking

KoonTrucking Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Booneville, MS
    We use the Garmin. It works well and I purchased large memory cards for it they last a very long time before recording over it due to the fact you can set it to record hd video either 780p or 1080p or standard resolution which really packs a bunch on a memory card. The battery inside will last a long time but we always just leave them plugged up and recording all the time. U can adjust the sensitivity level on them where if u even slam a door it will save that incident and I think it backs up 3-4 mins. Or if u don't want to fool with setting it that light with the memory card if u come out from a truck stop after a long shower and notice damage to your truck simply just play it back and u can see it on the screen or remove the sd card and put it in a laptop or tablet and scan thru it. It saves video is 4 min segments and u can watch it at 10x speeds. Then when u see the devil that hit u simply copy it to laptop or burn it to DVD. They are well worth the money, I recently noticed they have went down in price a good bit from when I purchased mine. Very good to have for those pesky 4 wheelers that can't seem to stay in their lane due to texting. You always have to keep in mind the general public believes "it's always the truckers fault" or "big truck caused another wreck" or "sue them if they can afford that big truck and chrome they can afford to pay me" always play it safe, cross your T's and for your i's even though it isn't your fault, having to go to court to defend yourself costs time and money and can be avoided early with a cheap $200 video camera. Just good piece of mind knowing it is there as well in case something does happen.

Rocks and true blue Thank this.
  7. true blue

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    Koon Trucking, which Garmin do you have?

8. melsno

melsno Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2015
    Grab a mobius and a 128gb card. 16 hours recording time. $65 for cam and $40-70 for a card.

roadreject and true blue Thank this.
  9. KoonTrucking

KoonTrucking Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Booneville, MS
    Garmin dash cam. Not sure the model. Loves has them on sale this month

true blue Thanks this.
  10. Rocks

Rocks Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Somewhere
    KoonTrucking, did you say you can turn off the sensor completely?
    And if you want to find something in the video, just play it back like fast forward and do the editing using the camera software?

11. true blue

Jul 13, 2011
    Harrisburg, NC
    Just read that the Mobius does not come with a G sensor, which I need.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.