Day by day adventures of a new solo OTR driver

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by dieselfuelonly, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Mackel

Mackel Bobtail Member

Feb 11, 2014
    This is the best thread I've ever read on The Truckers Report. I got here late and have thoroughly enjoyed it. DFO, you are the best writer and very professional driver. I'll recommend this thread as required reading for all new drivers. Your story represents all our stories as rookie drivers. Thanks for all your help. I'm a local driver considering going back over the road. Reading your post reminded me of what it's like on the road. Good luck to you on being an owner operator I'm sure you'll be very successful.

dieselfuelonly Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 91B20H8

91B20H8 Road Train Member

Oct 17, 2012
    The Heart of the North, Mi
    Don't want this to get lost

4. taugust

taugust Light Load Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Cuyamaca, CA
    Just finished this thread. Wow, what a long row to hoe. Thanks to DFO and all the others for a great read, and great info. I just passed my SQT in Fontana on Friday, and next week they give me my truck. I learned a lot about what a newb goes through. Hopefully my first year won't be as challenging as yours was. Now to catch up on the newer thread.

Tim

5. B.Schnizzle

B.Schnizzle Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2013
    Posting so I don't lose it.

6. notsonewb

notsonewb Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Actually I was trying to wright a three , my self similar to this one, not sure how to start a new one , this guy should get a job writing and make a few bucks and just buy a trucking company. Lol. Thanks for helping us pass the long lonely hours.
    :biggrin_2551:

dieselfuelonly, 91B20H8 and mickimause Thank this.
  7. Dan K

Dan K Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I am currently in CDL school, and will then be going to Schneider Tanker Truck training in Coraopolis, PA.

I just started reading this thread from the beginning, so have much farther to go. The FIRST thing I noticed is that the poster, Diesel Fuel Only (DFO), seems as though he never went out with a trainer, first........that can't be, though.

Next thing I noticed was that Schneider does not provide you with a GPS device designed for trucking....!!!!!........these are very expensive!

I would not want to be out on the road without a GPS device....and with these trucks.....not without one designed for trucks.....so, I guess I will have to fork out this money. I have a very old GPS, for cars. But, this could be dangerous regarding low bridges.

I did drive a cargo van all over the eastern half of the US doing expedited freight, and I drove a 24 foot box truck doing delivery work for appliances for a year, and I used a 24 foot box truck as my personal vehicle for two years in Florida (long story) . I will tell you that I would never want to be going over the road, especially through cities, where the highways are configured like a plate of spaghetti, without a GPS, not knowing which exits to take for sure, etc. Talk about dangerous....you better know exactly where the exit is coming up with a tanker truck loaded at <80,000 lbs. Heck, I don't even drive locally outside of my neighborhood without a GPS (and, yes, I am EXCELLENT at reading maps, so don't go there and assume that!).

I am looking at this experience of working for Schneider as a fulfillment of a dream, to drive tanker trucks, but also I am dreading whether I will be able to pick up all the skills I need to drive a tractor trailer, yet alone a tanker truck, and all the sundry things I will need to know to load and unload tankers, and the thousand other things that will come up.

So, I am reading these threads from new Schneider tanker drivers, and I do want to do this very badly, but, I am under no illusions as to how difficult this will be to get used to, the skills you need. My main concern now is actually getting through all the training, developing the necessary minimum skills needed to pass muster with Schneider. Although I am very smart (really high IQ), that does not necessarily transfer over to learning the skills for a new job....especially if you get nervous.

Reading these threads has really jolted me into the awareness of what a huge challenge I am taking on. I just completed my first week of CDL training with 3 more to go......and they threw us out onto the road with a trailer on day three......lots of crunched gears....I thought they should have had us practice shifting in the yard with a Bobtail, first.

I am quite used to being out on the road, but being independent and in a tiny little cargo van. I am very resourceful (such as taking along a big pump pressure spray bottle that you use for your garden, like you can buy at Home Depot, for showers when you don't have one available, or don't want to spend the bucks if you don't have a free one coming..........just strip down to a bathing suit, stand by your truck where you're hidden, or go into the woods, and use the spray bottle like a shower....it works fine, and the spray bottle doesn't leak, one bottle full will last for a couple or three of these showers, your just getting the grit and grease off of you, and you'll fell fine afterwards).......still, I see the Schneider drivers are very restricted as to where they can go to do errands, such as food buying, etc.

I plan to bring a cooler. I always used to use Walmart and Sams Club (mostly Walmart, cuzz there aren't that many Sam's Clubs) as my 'general store' when I was on the road expediting. I will need ice to put in my cooler, which is affordable at Walmart, and I need to eat salads and clean foods, with low salt, as I have blood pressure to control, and need to loose about 30 pounds. I'm in good physical shape, in terms of heart rate, strength, flexability, etc., cuzz I am used to working out hard, and did for many years......but, I put on about 30 pounds after I left my ludicrous delivery job at Sears, delivering appliances all day long for 15 hours average days, for about 2/3rds minimum wage (subcontractor status)....THAT was a hard job.........anything else will be a cake walk, on a physical level.

So, I will have to figure out how to get food, and how to exercise on the road.

I will guess that I am going to be going the FULL SPARTAN mode, because, if I can't get clean food, I will just be eating protein powder with water, canned tuna, etc. I will sleep every chance I get, too...and I will devise equipment and ways to get a REAL workout....none of this just walking around the lot. I'll figure out something, regardless of how weird I will look.

So, I fully sense the challenge I am about to face. I HOPE I will get through the training, and be deemed worthy to be given a truck (not wash out of the program), and I fully realize that I will be facing a Spartan life style, which is fine by me, as I have always been Spartan like. If I can get through the these next weeks, then I hope, and likely will, get more comfortable as I get used to the job, and figure out how to deal with all the challenges

Thanks for this thread, I have just begun to read it.:biggrin_25511:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    harlycharly55 Thanks this.
  8. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    on our qualcomm unit in every truck is a truck specific GPS system called navigo , many cool features contained there in, but none as reliable as your Atlas. Navigo can be wrong from time to time, or will route you the shortest way, when experience then tells you is longer time wise.

The rand mcnally or other truck specific gps models are expensive, bt not a necessity off the bat. You can save points on fuel card to help offset the cost, but really navigo will serve you well enough.

Sat radio on the other hand is definitely a sanity saver.

9. harlycharly55

harlycharly55 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I have about 1 more week in CDL school and have talked with Schneider about OTR Tanker either out of Edwardsville, IL or Houston, TX. Looking forward to joining the Big Orange!

Time4Change Thanks this.
  10. Time4Change

Time4Change Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2014
    Waco, TX
    I have about 3 weeks left and I too have talked with Schneider they were really pushing tanker which is fine but the freedom of the choice program on the van side has some benefits to the family in planning your trips around activities.....decisions decisions...

11. harlycharly55

harlycharly55 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2014
    Houston, TX
    That's quite understandable, for me though I want to get out on the road and make as much money as possible and get as much experience as possible as I've been out of work for last 6 months living at my daughters house I don't need any time off just need to get back on my feet. By the way I just got my CDL yesterday I passed my test good to go, good luck to you hope to see you on the road.

Time4Change Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.