Days on, hours off

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by SwervyMervyn99, May 1, 2016.

1. SwervyMervyn99

SwervyMervyn99 Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Madison, WI
    It's been a couple of years since I have been over the road and I never really thought about it....but why do companies want you to stay out for so many days, but only offer you so many hours off.......if I'm not getting a few whole days off I'm not going anywhere

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old school 362

Old school 362 Medium Load Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Pensacola Fl
    Yep 34 hours . And that's time off lol

rachi Thanks this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    If you get home late Friday and leave early Sunday they figure that you just had three days at home.

rachi Thanks this.
  5. TheDude1969

TheDude1969 Heavy Load Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Joliet, Il
    I think you answered your own question

6. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    They are paying for that truck everyday, and paying for your benefits everyday.... Some companies offer much better time off if you're willing to slipseat, or setup into a 3 man team operation running 8 on 4 off

7. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Bus companies, (both Greyhound and city transit lines), and taxicab companies slip seat every day. Why would it be any different with a trucking company?
    As long as the truck is SAFE to drive, it really does not matter. The company owns the truck, not the employee.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  8. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Because it's easier for the company. The load planners can put pretty much anything they want on you and you're stuck wherever it ends up. If they send you home, they have to actually search for something that takes you past the house. (Which, also, gives you the opportunity to clean out your truck).

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  9. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Years ago, I knew an OTR truck driver who had a suit case in the truck with him. He stated that whatever did NOT fit in the suitcase did NOT go in to the truck.
    The suitcase was convenient in case he was terminated and told to take out all his stuff immediately from the truck.

The OTR truck driver kept emergency money on him for transportation to get back home, (either by bus, taxicab, train, or plane), as well as for emergency lodging, (motel, inn, room to sleep in for the night, etc.).

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    akfisher Thanks this.
  10. alghazi

alghazi Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2014
    That's a good practice. Every driver should have a deployment bag and 1k cash in his possession at all times.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  11. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    I get my full days off and they usually sent me home early. So for 2 weeks out I get 3 or 4 whole days off. Money wise my checks isn't consistent but I like quality hometime I get.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.