DD15 Motor Control Module (ECM) don't pressure wash

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by uncleal13, Apr 23, 2016.

1. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I got a Check Engine light this week, my scan gauge said spn 677 fmi 5. Which is open circuit to starter magnetic switch. So I checked around the starter and followed the wire back to the ECM. Did find some wear through the plastic loom, but nothing shorting. Truck started fine, after the third restart the code cleared itself. But I was suspicious.
    The next day I got to thinking, as just two days before I had the truck washed at a new place in town and they washed my engine really clean. Which I know they are not supposed to do to these electronic engines. I remember seeing the following picture on the internet before.
    image.jpeg
    So today I pulled the 21 pin connector off the ECM. As I released the clamp some water dripped out. I did see some minor surface corrosion just starting on some of the pins, but nothing serious. So I dried things out with a heat gun and compressed air and cleaned things up. Put it back together and things fired up fine.
    So just a friendly reminder to keep high pressure water away from the ECM. That connector also carries the power for the ECM and contains the J1939 data bus connections. If things had of progressed further, either the truck would not start, the ECM may lose power, or the data bus could get really crazy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    DD has a service bulletin for washing motors. Can void warranty if not followed.

Star4900 Thanks this.
  4. uncleal13

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Good thing I found it early then.
    A local guy said his cost $8,000 after water caused the ECM to short out.

5. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Wow, thanks for the heads up!

6. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Usually those plugs are sealed up real good just for that reason. .
    I pressure washer my engine every week , and never had a problem.
    But not to say it can't happen because I'm sure it does.

7. uncleal13

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    It's a new place in my town, I think they wanted to make a good impression and hosed it extra well. I'm not blaming them, just after that and remember seeing that photo before made me look there.
    The last time I paid to have it done was in September and did it myself since. The corrosion was pretty minor so I know it hadn't been in there too long. Since it's a new place their pressure may have been pretty good.

8. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    On my 17 year old (DDEC IV) ECM on my series 60 is directly underneath the fuel pump, which has a minor oil leak, dripping down right onto the connectors at the front of the ECM. I mean 6 years worth of accumulation is a little messy looking, and I have wiped it off with a rag a couple of times, but have resisted pressure washing for the reasons stated above. I have since solved the oil leak but I think the coating of dirt/oil is actually preventing corrosion at the connection from the garbage they put on the roadways these days, which is dissolving the rest of the truck rather effectively. Spotless clean is not always the best.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.