Death Trap on I35 In Salado, TX

Discussion in 'Truckers' Weather & Road Conditions' started by Jcdixon, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Jcdixon

Jcdixon Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Salado, TX
    i live in this town and all this construction has caused this little town to have an accident atleast once a week. Going under the overpass north or south is dangerous, but most of the wrecks happen northbound. There's a sharp turn after the overpass and no shoulder on either side so no room for error. Just letting anyone know that doesn't know. Salado is halfway between Waco and Austin, TX

Dominick253 and jethro712 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CallMeArty

CallMeArty HaMMeRED DoWN

Apr 6, 2010
    TEXAS
    I'm not surprised to see this here. 35 is very dangerous both up and down. It's been that way for years.. Many accidents and fatalities simply could have been prevented all over the Central Texas area. Its unfortunate the state allows this endangerment to continuously happen.

Jcdixon Thanks this.
  4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Maybe they should raise the speed limit ,,, wmt

Jcdixon Thanks this.
  5. TexasMike

TexasMike "Big Tex"

Jan 28, 2008
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I've been driving through there daily on my route for over two years. The construction is ongoing and won't be complete for another year or so.

The main problem with that bridge area is the fact that NO ONE pays attention to the speed limit change from 75 to 60.

And the Salado area is the worst right now because there are no shoulders, narrow lanes and it twists and turns for two miles.

Till folks start to obey traffic laws areas like this will always be dangerous.

bzinger and Jcdixon Thank this.
  6. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    I would rather drive through California on 99 or 5 any day over I-35. Absolutely hate that highway between Dallas and San Antonio.

Jcdixon Thanks this.
  7. Jcdixon

Jcdixon Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Salado, TX

8. Jcdixon

Jcdixon Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Salado, TX
    It's a recipe for disaster. I avoid it living here. Yes I hate I35 too

9. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I drive through there every week and it's really not that challenging , it's the meatheads that can't stay in they're lane or read a speed limit sign that cause the problems there ...I'd really like to see that area saturated with cops .

Jcdixon Thanks this.
  10. stevep1977

stevep1977 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    There's no legitimate reason for the construction company setting up that stretch of road the way they do. Overall the roadway in both directions is basically wide enough to fit 5 lanes in each direction.

However, they close off the lanes and leave the bare minimum amount of space possible for two lanes of traffic, no shoulder and jersey walls on both sides. It's pointless stupidity, almost like they are trying to cause wrecks and casualties.

And yes the fact that people blow through a 60 mph construction zone at 75-80 mph doesn't help. Hell, even the truck traffic blows through there 70-75.

bzinger Thanks this.
  11. Jcdixon

Jcdixon Bobtail Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Salado, TX
    You are definiitely right. The one that kills me the most is the other bridge down farther and they had that set up at 14ft heighth, and a flatbed went thru there with a heavy load and hit the bridge, there were casualties in that one, but the driver was blamed, which isn't a shock, because they tend to blame all on the driver regardless of whose fault it is, but realistically speaking, who the hell can go under 14ft, that leaves no room for error either. There are more trucks out there besides freight trailers. I think on that one the construction company should have been blamed, but why should we put someone who makes minimum wage out of business, when we could put someone whose supporting a family and whose life is on the line with his job out of business. It's just not right.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.