Deducting higher lease payments vs 3 yr depreciation on purchase?

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by tscottme, Sep 15, 2016.

1. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

This is probably very basic and obvious for owner-ops and Lease-ops, so pardon it please.

It seems one justification for leasing a tractor versus buying/financing a tractor, despite the lease payment being higher than purchase payment is that the lease payments are deductible from income. I think the IRS more or less keeps depreciation deduction for buying at 3 years. During 1st 3+/- years of the buying/financing of the tractor that depreciation offsets the tractor payments. After depreciation goes away your purchase payments are counted as income/profit. At least that is how I heard an explanation of lease vs. purchase/finance. Is that about correct? I may have misunderstood the explanation.

If what I said above is mostly true, there seems to be a tax advantage for leasing a tractor for 3-5 years while any purchase/financing that lasts much beyond 3 years becomes an increasing tax burden. No matter how long you lease you can deduct the lease payments. I understand at the end of the lease you may or may not own anything. That's strictly governed by the lease agreement. Do I have this almost right?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Dont forget about the 179 ded. where you can offset a good 1st year by writing off a larger amount of the cost of your truck you bought or financed on 1st year tax return.

4. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    You depreciate the principle, deduct the interest ... Ultimately, with a purchase, the entire amount gets deducted. You just have to be careful. You can write off the entire principle the first year with 179 ... but then you will be faced with payments and very little to no write off in the later years of the pay off.

Lease payments are easier to manage. But, they carry no inherent tax benefit.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Can't you deduct all of the lease payment from your income? The lease is always a deductible expense for the IRS, right? I'm primarily comparing years 4-6 lease vs. purchase.

6. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    The advantages of leasing isn't the tax write off - it's the same. It only varies in the nature of what and when.

The advantage of leasing is in lowering your operating costs with new, under warranty equipment. Leasing for beyond 4 years will exceed the warranty and negate the advantage.

7. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    In my previous business I financed all my trucks and depreciated them over 5 years, when I bought my big truck I did so through a lease purchase. It was a sliding scale payment dependent on net income, therefore, I was able to pay the truck off in 29 months, if I had used a 5 years payment and depreciation plan as I had in the past, I would have paid more in taxes on income while paying off the truck. It all really would work out the same but if for some reason I had not paid off the truck I would have paid more in taxes those first three years and would not get the full depreciation.

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Everyone worries about deductions, but you make more money once the truck is paid for. Get an old truck get it paid for and buy new trailers deductions.

TruckerNerd and maggard359 Thank this.
  9. maggard359

maggard359 Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2013
    Florida
    Don't forget once you pay that lease off if the truck becomes yours you are now obligated for capital gains tax. I have always bought an older truck paid it off quickly as possible. Once it is paid off you can do some serious maintenance if you want and even chrome and that is just as deductible as the lease payment. I found in my later years of trucking instead of finding things to buy to offset the taxes I would just work less, and let me tell you that has been the greatest write off of all the tax laws and I have made just as much money.

tlalokay, yb226 and tscottme Thank this.
  10. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    Great point, I also will buy something like a new tractor, or add on at the shop for a write off.
    Tools and new air compressors stuff like that is fun to buy as well.

11. MysticHZ

May 28, 2010
    You pay capitol gains on any asset, when you sell it and only when you sell it. Doesn't matter how acquired it, through a lease, financing or paid cash.

Pegasus50 and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.