Define characteristics of a great driving instructor/trainer

Discussion in 'Prime' started by LivingDatRoadLife, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Being capable of teaching your profesion to others is supposedly the mark of a profesional.
    The old owner operator who taught me was not exactly passionate about teaching, but it is pretty easy to learn by example with someone who knows what there doing.
    You get around someone like that and most discusions will be centered on trucking, and thats where you can learn a lot about never even getting into the situations you see in these modern safety films.

If the Gods decided to regulate/certify trainers, then these crappy companies would have to work on driver retention. Better work conditions could bring better driver applicants, which could be trained better, and the roads might even become a little safer. Wouldnt that be something?

darthanubis and 91B20H8 Thank this.
  3. CaliforniaJellyroll

CaliforniaJellyroll Light Load Member

Jun 15, 2015
    [oops....OP did say cdl instructor/trainer, my bad]
    I was told at one school I interviewed that they didn't have any instructors with less than 3 months exp. Like that was a selling point. Needless to say, I did not pick them.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    Mr.X Thanks this.
  4. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    Both jobs were done by an experienced driver yrs ago. Probably part of the reason new drivers arent getting decent training.

5. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    How much can one teach in the time frame given ? How does one teach the ins n out of winter during the summer ?

The education never stops.

91B20H8 and Mr.X Thank this.
  6. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    True the education never stops, but it doesnt have to be winter to learn how to chainup a truck. Winter driving skills are aquired while actually driving on winter roads. These days when there is compact snow and ice on a steep grade you just as well throw a little iron on, because you can bet on seeing a fed ex or other LTL truck jack knifed half way up the hill because he didnt.

91B20H8 Thanks this.
  7. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth

Or down hill, trailers will come around

8. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    It doesn't apply to FedEx exclusively, that can happen to anyone. Tho FedEx is in hurry most of the time. Chains aren't a cure all either.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  9. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
  10. Mr.X

Mr.X Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Spokane, WA
    This will be my last reply in this thread. I mentioned fed ex only because lately (last winter) they are the ones I have seen chaining there trucks up in the middle of the road, and up against the guard rail, also added LTL because of the weight distrbution they are the ones who are most apt to have problems.

First thing I was taught was "Stay the hell out of the way"!

dca Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.