Definition of a swamper

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by sawmill, Aug 15, 2016.

1. sawmill

sawmill Road Train Member

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    I was talking with Mrs. Sawmill today and we were discussing how sometimes she goes with me. Not being one to sit around she is always willing to help with things around the truck. Cleaning, preparing meals, anything to help. This ol' truck ain't a passenger train anyway. Long ago she learned how to throw chains, straps, everything that goes with proper securement. She also knows how to tarp a load. But it was only today that she learned that her job title is "swamper". She was so sad about it. She says "Can't we change it to executive assistant?" LOL
    I told her it's a pretty standard job title in the industry. She said she doesn't see how it came to be that the helper was called a swamper. I even looked it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamper_(occupational_title)

Kinda interesting sometimes to learn where our language comes from and how it evolves.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Gunner75, Friday, MJ1657 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    If you ever, ever, ever, let this woman get away{AKA Saint}you will be Tar and Feathered!!!!!!!:eek:

Weeezerd, albert l, Chewy352 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. strollinruss

strollinruss Road Train Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Montgomery, TX
    That ain't no lie. I can't even get mine to ride on a short day trip. Not sure I'd want anyone with me anyhow.

Most swappers I know are on the work end of a winch truck.

sawmill and Chewy352 Thank this.
  5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    So, sawmill... If she can hack it why aren't you sitting on your duff at home!?!? :p

sawmill Thanks this.
  6. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

I call my wife a swamper also. We run a lowboy. She will spot me when backing and helps setup the chains and she does help tarp..
    We have run oil field and wind farms. Right now on a pipeline line job

7. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Use the British meaning with her; all purpose assistant.

sawmill Thanks this.
  8. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    Well I should be....but I guess her lack of CDL is the roadblock. Not that she can't drive a truck though. One time several years ago I had two trucks up at a small gas plant we were running, one I drove up there with her sitting jump seat and one that had been left there for one reason or another. I needed to get both trucks home so I convinced her to follow me with one. Once I saw the was picking up speed behind me I poured the coal to it and went home. I was standing at the back door of the shop watching the sun go down and about fifteen minutes later here she comes down the road. She had never sat behind the wheel before that day. That truck was a '02 W900 with 550 Cat and 18spd pulling a tanker.

Grubby, macavoy, Chewy352 and 2 others Thank this.
  9. sawmill

May 29, 2015
    Evanston, WY
    She said that'll work, but she thought that was the general job description for "wife"

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    WIFE:

Washing
    Ironing
    Folding
    Etc.

11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    You should get married , have a couple of kids and see if she'll do the housework

Ruthless and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.