Detroit 12.7 S60 Hard Starting

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by zaheerkarim, Jun 2, 2015.

1. zaheerkarim

zaheerkarim Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Malawi
    I have a Freightliner Century with a Detroit 12.7 s60. Recently the truck has become very hard to start and has lost power specially when going up hills. I have checked and cleaned the check valve on the filter and also the check valve behind the cylinder head. But still the same difficulty in starting, I have to use starting fluid all the time. In the beginning it would I would have to use the starting fluid if its parked for a few hours or overnight. But now it has got worst, I have to use the starting fluid even if its switched off for a few minutes. If I crank for a long time it starts at times that is if the batteries don't lose power first.

Any suggestions and solutions?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Is it a DDEC 5 (egr engine) or older?

4. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    The one on rear of eng. has a smaller hole in fuel tube before ck. valve that controls fuel press. inside head, replaceing with a new one can fix problems with only a parts change?

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Does it have the fuel shut off valves that you can operate from under the drivers door.
    I had a 1998 that had these with long steel shafts that extended over to the actual shut off valves above the tranny. Over the years of bouncing down the highway the metal shafts exert a downward force on the valves eventually causing the valve stem to wear out the seals and allowing air into the system, and voila, just what you got now.

6. allan5oh

allan5oh Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Winnipeg, mb
    Does it smoke white while cranking?

7. Moosemanusa

Moosemanusa Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
  8. zaheerkarim

Jun 21, 2011
    Malawi
    I guess its a DDEC 4. No white smoke when cranking and no codes logged. I removed the fuel shut off valves because I use one tank.

9. Moosemanusa

Moosemanusa Bobtail Member

Jun 3, 2015
    Most likely the fuel return check valve.

Its below the intake line.

Do you have anyway to check the fuel system pressure, the check valve basically keeps the fuel system pressured, when it starts to fail you're loosing prime.. has the truck been sitting?

I'm having problems with a D50 that has the same issue.. once started its fine, leave it for a while and you're in trouble, I had to remove the intake fuel to head line, crank, get flow, put thumb over the end and then reconnect very fast, then cranked.. that got it running..

10. zaheerkarim

Jun 21, 2011
    Malawi
    Truck has been on the road when this started? Thought it was the diesel filter but after changing the filter it was still the same. Hard starting...... Its getting worst now.

11. brysol01

brysol01 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    check your voltage, the starting fluid actually TRICKES it into starting, because you get a few more RPM
    so the sensors will allow it to start, it requires more voltage than what is required to turn the engine over, for it to run properly that seemed to be my experience with Detroits in 97 FLD, and 2000 9400 Those sensors need the right voltage supplied to them

baha Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.