Detroit 14L turbo,vpod,actuator issue. or a sensor

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Berzerker, Nov 30, 2014.

1. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    An Intake Throttle Valve is going to set you back $125 for the part, and a $75 dollar refundable core charge. Takes about 40 min to remove and replace with hand tools....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tightwad34068

Tightwad34068 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Chatham
    I have most these same problems with my 2004 14L. I solved most of them with the 1 ohm transistor thing that I made. And later replaced with an ugly fix. I now have a code 39-147-2 which if I understand correctly is. Turbo vanes not responding (boost). I replaced the cracked center section on the exhaust manifold and replaced the turbo. No help. Black smoke, hissing, no power. I unhooked the actuator and adjusted the stopper almost all the way down. I can drive the truck like this but very sluggish. No smoke though. Trying to figure out the intake throttle valve now. But my information just shows an intake air temp sensor. And a bost pressure sensor. Can you point out that ITV?

4. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    You do not have an ITV. It began usage in the EPA 07 Series 60. You more than likely have a bad VPOD. That is just a guess. It needs to be diagnosed properly with Diagnostic link.

5. kevint

kevint Bobtail Member

Mar 25, 2016
    Check you hoses going from the egr cooler to the delta p sensor also.

6. Tightwad34068

Tightwad34068 Bobtail Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Chatham
    I found and repaired a big air leak on the line going into the vpod. It made zero difference. So i guess replacing the vpod is next.

7. 1fixitman

1fixitman Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    It seems like a half a dozen people hijacked this thread. It goes so may different directions I can not keep up with all the different issues on all the trucks. LOL. Is it so hard to do an original post on just your issue and keep the hijackers away?

potthoff Thanks this.
  8. Bwalk3

Bwalk3 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2016
    I agree with the highjacking comment. My 2005 Freightliner with 60 SERIES 14L is doing the exact same thing as the original post. What was the diagnosis? Fix?

9. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Folks. Listen. There are some diagnosis/repairs that proper procedure without diagnostic software is possible. This IS NOT one of those times. I have been doing this for a long time with these engines since 2004. Over 80% of the time it is the vpod/air supply to vpod that causes this issue. Even when testing with DDDL,the vpod will fool you and work during numerous repeat tests. If you have/had water in your air tanks, it is going to be inside your vpod. The vpod is like a woman. Sensitive to anything (water/heat/lack of air pressure/bad electrical connector) and cause you problems. A good tech with DDDL can find code 139 problem fairly quick. These engines have been around for 13+ years. Now the new stuff..............whole different set of rules for diagnostics/repair.

jonargal and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  10. Bwalk3

Bwalk3 Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2016
    I am new to the 14 liter, can you post a pic if the vpod and air line? I kinda have an idea what and where it is but want to be certain.
    Thanks,
    Bob

11. lciambotti1

lciambotti1 Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Where is the VPOD located? I am having issues where it runs fine then boom, I start losing power, the check engine light comes on. Lift on the throttle and the check engine light goes out. Pull over let it sit for awhile and it runs fine again for awhile.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.